Zion Fall Colors Workshop
Nov 7-11, 2023
When autumn beckons, there are few places more scenic than Zion National Park. Over the course of 5 days, we'll don our hiking boots and explore many of Zion's best autumn locations including the world-class Narrows! The itinerary is kept flexible to allow us to chase the best colors and conditions. No long hikes are planned, but walking through water in the Narrows can be physically taxing and good mobility and balance are essential. Post-processing and image critique sessions will help make the most of your images.
- 50% Deposit
Max Group Size
- 4 Students per Instructor
- Max 8 Students
- Amy Osness
- 2nd Instructor TBD
- November is the perfect time to see the brilliant fall colors in Zion National Park.
- Put the "action" into your photography and hike through stunning canyons graced with autumn foliage. Good fitness and mobility are a must.
- Learn new photography skills and receive image critique from pro-photographer instructors. Group size is capped at 4 students per instructor to ensure plenty of individual attention.
- Post-processing instruction is included to improve your skills in Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Transportation is provided for all workshop outings so you don't have to worry about any rough roads.
In order to give our clients the best possible photography experience, we keep the itinerary flexible to account for autumn color, weather conditions, and group interest. The workshop dates coincide with historical peak fall color in Zion. However, fall color can be a fickle thing and it sometimes comes earlier or later than predicted. The itinerary below is just an example of what you can expect. We will optimize your time for the best possible photography.
- Day 1: The Workshop begins at 1PM in Springdale, UT where we'll meet for a short orientation session where you'll learn some of the photo techniques you'll be using during our time together. After that, we head into the canyon and do a short hike with dramatic canyon views graced with autumn foliage. We return to town for dinner and get fitted for any wading gear you may need.
- Day 2: Today we spend our entire time deep in the Zion Narrows. We are the first ones into the canyon which allows us to photograph many areas without the crowds. The autumn colors are at peak and we find compositions where we can utilize soft water effects, accented by brilliant trees in the background. After we exit the Narrows, we may shoot sunset depending on time before heading back to town for dinner.
- Day 3: We are up early to photograph a waterfall rimmed by gorgeous autumnal trees set deep in a jagged amphitheater. We photograph several other areas before heading back to town for lunch. After lunch, we have an image critique session before heading out for our sunset shoot along the Virgin River.
- Day 4: It's another early morning sunrise shoot followed by breakfast in town. We do a post-processing session before lunch and then decide to do a longer 6-mile round trip hike over easy terrain to a spectacular sunset location.
- Day 5: We wake well before dawn for our final sunrise shoot. It's just a short 1-hr hike in and we enjoy colorful clouds and dramatic light. We hit several other locations before the good light dissipates. We return to town for breakfast and check out of the hotel. The workshop will conclude no later than 11AM.
The trip will begin and end in Springdale, UT. Transportation will be provided for all workshop outings. Most people will fly into either Las Vegas or St George, UT and rent a car to arrive in Springdale.
This can be a hiking intensive workshop, especially with our full day in the Zion Narrows. We aren't planning any long hikes and most days will fall in the range of 2-5 miles of cumulative walking. However, hiking in the Narrows is physically taxing and good balance and mobility are essential. You should be comfortable hiking these sorts of distances while carrying your camera gear, drinking water, and lunch. All participants need a pair of chest waders for hiking the Narrows. Alternatively, there are many outfitters in Springdale that will rent you a cold-water wading package (shoes, neoprene socks, dry pants, hiking pole).
The days can start getting cold in November, so make sure you bring some warm layers, a waterproof rain jacket, sturdy hiking boots, wool socks, and warm hat and gloves. Trekking poles are highly recommended for better balance when hiking in the water.
$2095/person + Tax
Join our Loyalty Program and Save 10%!!
- 5-Day Intensive Photo Workshop
- All ground transportation and photography guiding during the trip.
- Post-processing instruction and image critique
- Park entrance fees.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Springdale, UT.
- Hotel Accommodations.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Rental Gear (cold water wading package)
- Meals and snacks
- Instructor Gratuities
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90-days prior to arrival to the credit card we have on file.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy and lightweight tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body.
- Wide angle lens (16-35mm is perfect). For crop sensor, you'll want 10-22mm. Ultrawide Angle Lenses in the 11-14mm range will also work nicely.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Long telephoto lenses can come in handy in case of wildlife encounters. However, in the interest of keeping your pack weight light, we don't recommend bringing them on the hikes.
- Circular polarizer filters are a must. Bring any ND filters if you have them.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Comfortable hiking backpack that can carry your camera gear, tripod, lunch, and drinking water.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or follow along during the post-processing instruction.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and long pants .
- Chest Waders and or Cold Water Rental Package from an outfitter in Springdale, UT.
- A rain jacket and several warm layers since it can get cold in the mornings.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Warm Hat & Gloves.
- Water bottle or hydration bladder.
- Trekking Poles.
From an early age, Amy knew she had a wandering spirit. Her desire for adventure and passion for nature, stayed with her into adulthood, prompting her to pursue photography as an expressive art form.
The moments captured by Amy's camera are far removed from the "point and click" variety. She often spends hours and even days scouting possible shoot locations.
Amy loves exploring and photographing all the natural wonders that surround her hometown of St. George, Utah.
Palouse Barns Photo Workshop
June 30-July 3, 2023 - 2 Spots Left!
Mt. Rainier Wildflowers
Beyond the Badlands – Full Moon
Zion Fall Colors Workshop
Eastern Sierras Photo Workshop
Death Valley Photo Workshop
Winter Horse Ranch
Jan 18-24, 2024 - 2 Spots Left!
Alaska Aurora Borealis
Feb 29-Mar 7, 2024
Winter in the Desert
Death Valley and Stars
Mar 10-15, 2024 - Sold Out!
Reflection Canyon Photo Workshop
Monument Valley and Native Cultures
Lake Powell Houseboat Workshop
Antarctica and South Georgia
Hidden Gems Southwest
Spring in the Palouse Photo Workshop
June 10-13, 2023 - Sold Out!
South Dakota Badlands Photo Workshop
Incredible Indonesia Photo Workshop
Olympic National Park Photo Workshop
Storms & Saguaros
July 20-24, 2023 - Sold Out
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
July 23-28, 2023 - Sold Out
Palouse Harvest Photo Workshop
Grand Canyon Monsoon
White Pocket Monsoon
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop 2023
Sept 8-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Red Sails in Greenland 2023
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out!
Arctic Wildlife & Landscapes
Alaska Fall Colors
Rifugios in the Dolomites
Sept 14-21, 2023 - Sold Out!
Bisti Badlands – Fall
Oct 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Oct 15-19, 2023 - Sold Out
Northern Utah Fall Colors
Southwest Annular Eclipse
Photopills Annular Eclipse
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop Fall
Beyond the Badlands – Fall Colors
Cypress Swamps Photo Workshop
Nov 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Hidden Gems Southwest Fall
Canadian Rockies in Winter
Jan 28-Feb 5, 2024 - Sold Out!
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in Winter
Iceland In Winter Photo Workshop
March 8-18, 2024 - Sold Out!
Total Solar Eclipse Workshop
Wild Tigers Safari India
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop
Kenya by Land, Air, & Night
July 27 - Aug 7, 2024 - Sold Out!
Red Sails in Greenland
July 28-August 2, 2024 - Sold Out!
Big Cats Africa Safari
Nov 3 - 14, 2024 - Sold Out!