Northern Utah Fall Colors
Oct 2-5, 2023 - Sold Out!
Early October brings peak fall color to many of Northern Utah's most scenic destinations. Instructor A.J. knows this area well, having lived and photographed in this region for many years. During our days together we'll find the best autumn conditions and stunning vistas. This workshop requires some moderate hikes to access some of the locations. We'll concentrate on big views along with smaller, more intimate scenes. Post-processing instruction and image critique will be scheduled throughout the workshop.
- 50% Deposit
Max Group Size
- 5 Students per Instructor
- A.J. Rich
- Early Oct brings peak fall color to many of Northern Utah’s most scenic destinations. The workshop will focus on the Uinta and Wasatch Mountains.
- Learn new photography skills and receive image critique from resident pro-photographer A.J. Rich. With many years of experience in the area, he knows the best spots to take you to.
- The itinerary is kept flexible to allow us to chase the best fall colors and weather conditions.
- Workshop is capped at 5 participants, allowing for plenty of individual attention.
- We provide the transportation during the workshop so you don't have to worry about the rough and windy roads.
In order to give our clients the best possible photography experience, we keep the itinerary flexible to account for autumn colors, weather conditions, and group interest. The workshop dates coincide with peak fall color in places like Uinta and Wasatch National Forests. However, fall color can be a fickle thing and it sometimes comes earlier or later than predicted. No matter what happens, we'll get you to the best autumn conditions.
- Day 1 – Oct 2: The workshop begins at 1PM in Heber City, UT with a short orientation session and classroom style instruction. After lunch, we load up the rig and head towards the mountains for an afternoon in the Aspen glades, stopping to photograph the prime fall colors all along the way. After photographing a beautiful sunset along the Wasatch Back, we return to Heber City after dark to check into our hotel.
- Day 2 – Oct 3: We are up well before dawn for a short hike into the high country for a stunning sunrise over Mount Timpanogos. Next, we take a mid-morning walk around a scenic area with wildlife and loads of autumn color. After a lunch break, we venture into the mountains on the other side of the valley, stopping at scenic overlooks along the way. We shoot sunset at one of our favorite areas and return back after dark.
- Day 3 – Oct 4: It's another early start as we head towards some beautiful alpine meadows for sunrise and morning light. On our way back, we stop at lookouts along a side road. After lunch, we regroup and venture out to a different canyon dappled with autumn brilliance. For sunset, we do a short hike up a hill for some awe-inspiring views of the high country.
- Day 4 – Oct 5: We choose a location along the river for the sunrise shoot this morning. Shortly after that we photograph a pastoral barn with mountains and fall color. We return to town for lunch and then head over into the Uinta Mountains in search of aspen glades and meadows. The workshop will conclude by 9PM after we return from our sunset shoot.
The trip will begin and end in Heber City, UT. You will need your own transportation to get to Heber City. We will provide transportation for all workshop outings since we may be going on some rough and muddy roads.
We did not include hotel stays in the workshop package to give you the flexibility to stay where you’d like. We recommend you stay at the Best Western Plus in Heber Valley as that will be our central meeting place. The workshop will conclude no later than 9PM on Oct 5 so it’s up to you if you want to stay that night in Heber or head somewhere else.
All participants should be in good physical condition to be able to hike with their camera gear at higher altitudes. Hiking distances aren't long with no more than 1-2 miles per day. However, the high altitude, rocky terrain, and possible snow can make short hikes feel more difficult. This workshop would be rated on the upper end of the Moderate scale.
Make sure you bring cold weather clothing in case we get some nippy mornings in the high country. Several warm layers along with a rain jacket, hat, and gloves are recommended. If snow is in the forecast, a pair of micro-traction devices would be a good idea. See the gear list further down.
Drones are prohibited in any wilderness areas. However, drones are legal in many of the places we visit. If you have a drone, bring it along. We just ask that you be cognizant of others and their enjoyment.
$1595/person + Tax
- 4-Day intensive photo workshop
- All ground transportation and photography guiding during the trip.
- Park entrance fees.
- Post processing and image critique.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Heber Valley, UT.
- Hotel accommodations.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Meals and snacks
- Instructor Gratuities
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90-days prior to arrival to the credit card we have on file.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body.
- Wide angle lens (16-35mm is perfect). For crop sensor, you'll want 10-22mm.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Telephoto lens in the range of 100-400mm. For wildlife, you'll want a lens that is longer than 200mm.
- Circular polarizer filters are a must. Bring any ND filters if you have them.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Remote cord for your camera. An intervalometer will be especially useful for doing long exposures at night.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and long pants .
- A rain jacket and several warm layers like a down coat or puffy jacket since it can get cold in the mornings.
- Warm gloves and hat.
- Micro-traction device (micro-spikes) if snow is in the forecast.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat.
- Water bottle or hydration bladder.
- Hiking poles if you like having them.
Ever since he was young, A.J. Rich has had a passion for all things visual. Growing up on the edge of St. George, Utah, he often sketched his favorite sports players and designed logos for his youth sports teams. A.J. also spent countless hours around his childhood home climbing rock mesas and exploring the unknown, including at nearby Zion National Park.
After graduating with a degree in graphic design from Brigham Young University in 2001, A.J. worked in the graphic design field for 20 years. In 2006 A.J. picked up a camera and, drawing on his art background, he has been a successful Getty Images contributor. In recent years he has focused on landscape photography—where his true passion lies.
Today the quest for the “timeless story” drives A.J. on all his outdoor adventures. While out in nature he seeks the ethereal and spiritual planes, and if he can capture them in a photograph, even better.
Currently A.J. works by day as a graphic designer and art director for BYU Brand & Creative, always dreaming of and planning for his next photography journey.
Gallery Facebook Instagram
Secret Slot Canyon Workshop
Hidden Gems Southwest
Palouse Barns Photo Workshop
June 30-July 3, 2023 - 2 Spots Left!
Palouse Harvest Photo Workshop
Rifugios in the Dolomites
Sept 14-21, 2023 - Sold Out!
Beyond the Badlands – Full Moon
Bisti Badlands – Fall
Oct 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Oct 15-19, 2023 - Sold Out
Zion Fall Colors Workshop
Eastern Sierras Photo Workshop
Horse Ranch Winter Photo Workshop
Jan 18-24, 2024 - 1 Spot Left!
Iceland In Winter Photo Workshop
March 8-18, 2024 - Sold Out!
Red Sails in Greenland
July 28-August 2, 2024 - 2 Spots Left!
Big Cats Africa Safari
Nov 3 - 14, 2024
Wild Horses in Utah
Apr 17-20, 2023 - Sold Out!
Apr 21-24, 2023 - Sold Out!
Monument Valley and Native Cultures
May 19-23, 2023 - Sold Out!
Beyond the Badlands – Spring
May 12-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Grand Staircase and Beyond
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop
Southern Oregon Coast Photo Workshop
Spring in the Palouse – For Women Photographers
May 24-27, 2023 - Sold Out
Bisti Badlands – Spring
Redwoods Photo Workshop
Spring in the Palouse Photo Workshop
June 10-13, 2023 - Sold Out!
South Dakota Badlands Photo Workshop
Incredible Indonesia Photo Workshop
Olympic National Park Photo Workshop
Storms & Saguaros
July 20-24, 2023 - Sold Out
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
July 23-28, 2023 - Sold Out
Grand Canyon Monsoon
Mt. Rainier Wildflowers
White Pocket Monsoon
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop 2023
Sept 8-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Red Sails in Greenland 2023
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out!
Arctic Wildlife & Landscapes
Alaska Fall Colors
Northern Utah Fall Colors
Southwest Annular Eclipse
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop Fall
Beyond the Badlands – Fall Colors
Cypress Swamps Photo Workshop
Nov 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Hidden Gems Southwest Fall
Canadian Rockies in Winter
Jan 28-Feb 5, 2024 - Sold Out!
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in Winter
Alaska Aurora Borealis
Wild Tigers Safari India
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop
Kenya by Land, Air, & Night
July 27 - Aug 7, 2024 - Sold Out!