White Pocket Monsoon Photo Workshop
Aug 9-12, 2023 - Sold Out!
Monsoon season is one of the best times to photograph White Pocket. This is when we have best chances for big clouds, lightning, storms, and water puddles. Camping overnight allows you to photograph sunset, the Milky Way, and sunrise! Join us for 4 epic days of shooting at a variety of Southwest locations. Post-processing instruction also included. If you'd like to extend your trip, consider pairing with our Grand Canyon Monsoon Workshop Aug 5-9, 2023!
- Fully Outfitted Camping
- 3 Nights Lodging
Max Group Size
- 5 Students per Instructor
- Max 10 Students
- Nickolas Warner
- 2nd Instructor TBD
- Fully outfitted overnight camping trip to White Pocket during the height of monsoon season. Chances are good for dramatic skies, storms, and full water pockets!
- When skies are clear in the evening, we’ll go out and photograph the Milky Way. The workshop dates are timed to avoid moon interference.
- Learn many new photographic and post-processing techniques from pro photography instructors.
- The itinerary is kept flexible so we can chase the best weather conditions. One day is being left “open” and we’ll decide as a group where we go.
- Post-processing and image critique sessions will be provided throughout the workshop.
- Can't get enough of the Monsoon Mania? Consider joining our Grand Canyon Moonsoon Workshop Aug 5-9, 2023!
- Day 1 (Aug 9): Meet at 1PM at the Best Western in Kanab for a mandatory introductory session. After the session, we head out to White Pocket. We quickly set up camp and then photograph into the evening & night hours. We will supply tents, sleeping bags, pads, pillows, chairs, meals, and snacks. At night, we'll photograph the Milky Way if skies are clear and you'll learn both natural and low-level lighting techniques. Note that a hotel room will be provided for all participants on this evening in case of bad weather. The room will also allow you to shower and rest up as soon as we return the next day without waiting for a late afternoon check-in.
- Day 2 (Aug 10): Sunrise/Morning at White Pocket and then we break camp and return to Kanab for showers and a midday rest break. We hold an afternoon post-processing session where you'll get some great tips for your Milky Way images before heading out for a sunset shoot after dinner. We'll stay out and shoot Milky Way if skies are clear. But if there are storms in the area, we might be photographing lightning!
- Day 3 (Aug 11): This is our "open" day. We begin with a post-processing and image critique session and then decide as a group where we want to go shoot that evening based on the weather forecast. We have permits to guide all over the Southwest so we have lots of options to choose from. After shooting some dramatic monsoon light at sunset, we head back to Kanab. Since the skies have cleared on the drive back, we head over to the Great Chamber for Milky Way photos which is one of our premiere night locations.
- Day 3 (Aug 12): We decide to get up early to capture sunrise in Zion National Park. We return to town for breakfast and have one final classroom session. The workshop will conclude by noon.
Please arrive in Kanab, UT prior to 1PM on Aug 9th for an orientation session at the Best Western Red Hills. We are including a hotel stay for the night of Aug 9th as it will give us flexibility in the event of bad weather. The hotel room will also allow you to shower and catch up on sleep when we get back the next morning without waiting for a late afternoon check-in. We will finish the workshop around noon on Aug 12th. It's up to you if you want to stay in Kanab that night or head somewhere else. Can't get enough of the Monsoon Mania? Consider pairing this workshop with our Grand Canyon Monsoon Workshop Aug 5-9, 2023.
All participants on this trip should be in reasonably good physical condition. We aren't planning any long hikes on this trip, but the uneven terrain, sand, and heat can make short hikes seem much harder. You should be comfortable walking around 2-3 miles per day.
We timed this workshop for the best chance of monsoon storms and dramatic clouds. There won't be any moon interference on these dates so we can do night photography if skies are clear.
The weather can vary quite a bit from sunny and hot, to cooler and very wet when storms come in. See the gear list further down for specific recommendations. No matter what the weather does, we’ll get awesome photos. If it’s exceptionally wet, some of the dirt roads may be impassable. We'll modify the itinerary accordingly should that be the case. Transportation will be provided in 4WD trucks so we can handle most conditions.
Food and camping gear will be provided for the White Pocket overnight portion. Gear includes a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, pad, and chair along with dinner, breakfast, and snacks. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions.
$1850 per Person
Join our Loyalty Program and Save 10%!!
- 3 nights double occupancy lodging at the Best Western Red Hills in Kanab, UT. Single occupancy adds $225.
- All ground transportation and photography guiding during the trip.
- Post-processing and image critique
- Camping Gear at White Pocket
- Meals and Snacks while at White Pocket.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Kanab, UT.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- All other meals and snacks outside of White Pocket.
- Instructor Gratuities.
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90 days prior to arrival to the credit card we have on file.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body. A full-frame camera is recommended for night photography.
- Backpack to comfortably carry your camera gear. Make sure you have a rain cover for your backpack.
- Wide Angle Lens. We recommend a 16-35mm lens. If you have wider lenses in the 11-15mm range, bring them along! For night photography, you will want a wide angle lens that is at least f/2.8 or faster.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Telephoto lenses will come in handy if we go to Bryce, Alstrom Point, or the Grand Canyon.
- Circular polarizer filters are useful. Bring any ND filters if you have them.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Remote cord for your camera.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or follow along during the post-processing instruction.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and long pants (keeps sand out of your shoes).
- A rain jacket and one warm layer since it can get cooler at night.
- Personal toiletries for the overnight trip.
- Headlamp for night photography.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Sun Hat
- Water bottle or hydration bladder
Nickolas Warner is an award-winning photographer with recognition by the Epson Pano Awards, International Landscape Photographer of the Year, and Outdoor Photographer. He has a particular interest in extreme and unusual locations. His travels have taken him to some fascinating locations, but the American Southwest is his favorite place to photograph.
Nickolas spent the past decade guiding in Alaska, where he provided instruction on photographing the aurora borealis, and shared his knowledge of the far north’s rugged terrain and resilient wildlife.
When not guiding, Nickolas enjoys long distance hiking and extended backpacking trips through remote wilderness areas.
Nickolas's portfolio can be found at Nickolas Warner Photography
Secret Slot Canyon Workshop
Hidden Gems Southwest
Palouse Barns Photo Workshop
June 30-July 3, 2023 - 2 Spots Left!
Palouse Harvest Photo Workshop
Rifugios in the Dolomites
Sept 14-21, 2023 - Sold Out!
Beyond the Badlands – Full Moon
Bisti Badlands – Fall
Oct 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Oct 15-19, 2023 - Sold Out
Zion Fall Colors Workshop
Eastern Sierras Photo Workshop
Horse Ranch Winter Photo Workshop
Jan 18-24, 2024 - 1 Spot Left!
Iceland In Winter Photo Workshop
March 8-18, 2024 - Sold Out!
Red Sails in Greenland
July 28-August 2, 2024 - 2 Spots Left!
Big Cats Africa Safari
Nov 3 - 14, 2024
Wild Horses in Utah
Apr 17-20, 2023 - Sold Out!
Apr 21-24, 2023 - Sold Out!
Monument Valley and Native Cultures
May 19-23, 2023 - Sold Out!
Beyond the Badlands – Spring
May 12-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Grand Staircase and Beyond
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop
Southern Oregon Coast Photo Workshop
Spring in the Palouse – For Women Photographers
May 24-27, 2023 - Sold Out
Bisti Badlands – Spring
Redwoods Photo Workshop
Spring in the Palouse Photo Workshop
June 10-13, 2023 - Sold Out!
South Dakota Badlands Photo Workshop
Incredible Indonesia Photo Workshop
Olympic National Park Photo Workshop
Storms & Saguaros
July 20-24, 2023 - Sold Out
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
July 23-28, 2023 - Sold Out
Grand Canyon Monsoon
Mt. Rainier Wildflowers
White Pocket Monsoon
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop 2023
Sept 8-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Red Sails in Greenland 2023
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out!
Arctic Wildlife & Landscapes
Alaska Fall Colors
Northern Utah Fall Colors
Southwest Annular Eclipse
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop Fall
Beyond the Badlands – Fall Colors
Cypress Swamps Photo Workshop
Nov 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Hidden Gems Southwest Fall
Canadian Rockies in Winter
Jan 28-Feb 5, 2024 - Sold Out!
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in Winter
Alaska Aurora Borealis
Wild Tigers Safari India
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop
Kenya by Land, Air, & Night
July 27 - Aug 7, 2024 - Sold Out!