Toroweap Overnight Photo Tour
Various Dates, $648/person
Toroweap ranks as one of the most photogenic viewpoints of the entire Grand Canyon! It's one of the very few spots where you can look straight down on the Colorado River! This is a fully outfitted camping trip with meals (Please note: We are unable to accommodate special dietary needs on our campouts. If you have food allergies, or dietary restrictions, we ask that you bring your own meals).
Due to National Park Service Regulations, we aren't allowed to give photo instruction along the rim. Before we leave Kanab, we will go over the shooting techniques you will be using. We will still take you to the best places along the rim for photography.
Join an Existing Tour
- Toroweap ranks as one of the most photogenic viewpoints of the entire Grand Canyon! It's one of the very few spots where you can look straight down on the Colorado River!
- This is a fully outfitted camping adventure. All you need to bring is your camera gear and we'll take care of the rest (Please note: We are unable to accommodate special dietary needs on our campouts. If you have food allergies, or dietary restrictions, we ask that you bring your own meals).
- Capture the full Milky Way panorama over the canyon during the months of March, April & May. The Milky Way aligns down-canyon in Sept and Oct. Please Contact Us if you need help figuring optimal dates.
- Small group size to ensure personalized instruction and individualized attention.
- Capture the warm sunset tones, the brilliant night sky, and sunrise the next morning.
- Tour Departure: Times vary depending on the season
- Tour Return: Noon the following day.
- Tour Price: $649 per person Loyalty Members will get 10% off.
- Drive Time: 2-2.5 hrs each way.
- Tour Meetup Location: The trip begins and ends in Kanab, UT. The address will be given in your confirmation email and is a safe place to park your vehicle. If you like, you can leave any valuables indoors. Once you arrive, you'll load your gear and sign a liability release waiver. Las Vegas is the closest major airport to Kanab. There is no public transportation to Kanab, so you’ll need your own vehicle.
- Permits: We hold commercial use permits for Grand Canyon National Park and the Tuweap Area.
- Hiking / Fitness: This trip is rated as Moderate. If you want to do night photography at the rim, be prepared to do a 1.5 mile round trip hike. The park service does not allow us to drive the road at night.
- Weather Conditions: he weather is highly variable. It can be warm and sunny, or windy, cold, rainy, and at times, snowy. Please come prepared with adequate clothing for whatever Mother Nature throws at us. Kanab, UT is the best reference for an accurate weather forecast.
- Road Conditions: The route out to Toroweap is very rough. But we'll make sure you get there safely in our well equipped 4WD vehicles. If it has been snowing, the road could become impassable due to sticky clay mud. Should that happen, we'll schedule an alternate destination based on group consensus (we have lots of amazing spots to choose from).
- What to Bring: You’ll need to bring any personal toiletries and medications. All participants should have a headlight (or flashlight). Don’t forget some warm clothes and a hat. It’s also a good idea to bring a water bottle (makes things like brushing your teeth much easier).
- Camping Gear: Camping gear is included (tent, sleeping bag, mattress, pillow, chair). Please do not expect luxury camping. Our goal on this trip is to maximize your photography, so we spend as little time as possible in camp. We’ll camp next to the vehicle(s) so don't worry about having to carry your gear. If you elect to bring your own camping gear, note that cargo space is limited so do not bring too much stuff.
- Food/Water: We will provide food and beverages on this trip. A hot meal will be served for dinner. Breakfast will include coffee/tea and there is a selection of cold and warm food choices. Please note: We are unable to accommodate special dietary needs on our campouts. If you have food allergies, or dietary restrictions, we ask that you bring your own meals. We will have a water container you can use to refill any water bottles.
- What to Wear: Check the weather forecast prior to coming on the trip (search for Kanab, UT on Weather.com). If the temperatures are cold, bring warm layers and long pants. Don’t forget sunglasses and sunscreen. Even when it’s warm outside, the temperature can drop quickly after the sun sets. If rain, wind, or snow are in the forecast, bring a rain jacket, a warm hat, and gloves. We recommend wearing sturdy closed-toe footwear in due to the uneven terrain and sand.
- Restroom Facilities: There are several restroom facilities at Toroweap. The camping area also has picnic tables we can use.
- Safety: Our guides are trained in CPR/First-Aid. All 4WD vehicles are equipped with extraction equipment and a first-aid kit. We carry a satellite beacon with us in case of emergencies outside of cell range.
- Camera Gear: You can make use of just about any lens at Toroweap. A wide angle zoom lens is useful when shooting from the canyon rim (equivalent 16-35 on a full-frame camera or 10-22mm on a crop sensor). For night photography, your wide angle lens should be f/2.8 or faster. A mid-range lens in the range of 30-100mm will provide nice scale and compression. Telephoto lenses will be useful for isolating rock formations in the distance. Bring as many lenses as you like - just ensure your pack isn’t too heavy for comfort. All participants should bring a tripod and a remote cord or intervalometer. For filters, a circular polarizer can come in handy when there are clouds in the sky (it’s best to avoid polarizers on cloudless days). A neutral density filter can create long exposures for fast moving clouds. Don’t forget extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies. Please contact us if you’d like to rent any camera gear for your outing.
- Cancellation/Re-Scheduling: Please see our Terms and Conditions.