Canyon Colors Workshop
Nov 5-9, 2023
Hikers Special! Trek deep into some of the Utah's most stunning canyons in search of brilliant autumn colors. This is one photo adventure you won't want to miss as we wade through water and hike deep into the desert backcountry. The rewards are plentiful as we are surrounded by gorgeous canyon scenery, breathtaking views, and beautiful autumn color.
- November is the perfect time to see the brilliant fall colors deep in Utah's spectacular canyons.
- Live the adventure and trek through stunning canyons in Escalante and Zion! Good fitness and mobility are a must.
- Learn new photography skills and receive image critique from pro-photographer instructors. Group size is capped at 4 students per instructor to ensure plenty of individual attention.
- Post-processing instruction is included to improve your skills in Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Transportation is provided for all workshop outings so you don't have to worry about the rough roads.
In order to give our clients the best possible photography experience, we keep the itinerary flexible to account for autumn color, weather conditions, and group interest. The workshop dates coincide with peak fall color in places like Escalante and Zion. However, fall color can be a fickle thing and it sometimes comes earlier or later than predicted. We reserve the right to change the itinerary and shooting locations accordingly.
- Day 1: The Workshop begins at noon in Kanab, UT with a short orientation session and classroom style instruction. Then we load up the rig and head north on a beautiful drive towards Escalante, UT. After photographing sunset, we check into our hotel and get settled for the night.
- Day 2: We are up well before dawn to hike into Coyote Gulch, one of the premiere canyons in the area. The autumn colors are fantastic and are complemented by waterfalls, towering canyon walls, arches, and grottos. This hike is definitely a photographer's favorite! We return to Escalante, UT after a long and productive day.
- Day 3: Today is another all-day hike into several side canyons of the Escalante River. You will photograph intimate fall color scenes along with big canyon views and yellow cottonwoods. You will gaze in wonder at a huge natural cathedral and find many photo ops to keep you pressing that shutter button. We return to Escalante, UT, exhausted but thrilled with the images we were able to capture.
- Day 4: We wake up early to photograph sunrise at Bryce Canyon and then we make our way back to Kanab. We convene for a post-processing and image critique session and then head over to Zion for a sunset shoot with the fall colors. We do several short hikes and photograph the colorful cottonwood trees along the Virgin River.
- Day 5: Today we spend our entire time deep in the Zion Narrows. We are the first ones into the canyon which allows us to photograph many areas without the crowds. The autumn colors are at peak and we find compositions where we can utilize soft water effects, accented by brilliant trees in the background. After we exit the Narrows, we return to Kanab. The workshop will conclude around 6PM. It is up to you if you want to spend another night in Kanab or head somewhere else.
The trip will begin and end in Kanab, UT. Transportation will be provided for all workshop outings but you also have the option to drive your own vehicle when we relocate between Kanab and Escalante, UT (paved roads).
This is a hiking intensive workshop with a couple 8-10 mile hikes in the itinerary. You should be comfortable hiking these sorts of distances while carrying your camera gear, drinking water, and lunch. The Escalante canyons will have some cold water to wade through. All participants need a pair of waders or some neoprene socks with footwear that can get wet. Alternatively, you can rent a cold water wading package (shoes, neoprene socks, dry pants) from an outfitter in Springdale, UT. If you decide to rent gear, make sure you pick it up prior to the beginning of the workshop.
The days can start getting cold in November, so make sure you bring some warm layers, a waterproof rain jacket, sturdy hiking boots, wool socks, and hat and gloves. Trekking poles are highly recommended for better balance when hiking in the water.
There will be some short scrambles getting into and out of Coyote Gulch. We will be on hand to help you with your pack and will have a rope we can use for a handline. We will be able to filter drinking water from the creek or nearby springs.
$2095/person + Tax
Join our Loyalty Program and Save 10%!!
- 5-Day Intensive Photo Workshop
- All ground transportation and photography guiding during the trip.
- Post-processing instruction and image critique
- Park entrance fees.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Kanab, UT.
- Hotel Accommodations.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Rental Gear (cold water wading package)
- Meals and snacks
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90-days prior to arrival to the credit card we have on file.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy and lightweight tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body.
- Wide angle lens (16-35mm is perfect). For crop sensor, you'll want 10-22mm. Ultrawide Angle Lenses in the 11-14mm range will also work nicely.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Long telephoto lenses can come in handy in places like Bryce Canyon. However, in the interest of keeping your pack weight light, we don't recommend bringing them on the hikes.
- Circular polarizer filters are a must. Bring any ND filters if you have them.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Comfortable hiking backpack that can carry your camera gear, tripod, lunch, and drinking water.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or follow along during the post-processing instruction.
- We may be able to rent you gear if you don't have everything you need.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and long pants .
- Waders, Neoprene Socks and or Cold Water Rental Package from an outfitter in Springdale, UT.
- A rain jacket and several warm layers since it can get cold at night.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Warm Hat & Gloves.
- Water bottle or hydration bladder.
- Trekking Poles.
From an early age, Amy knew she had a wandering spirit. Her desire for adventure and passion for nature, stayed with her into adulthood, prompting her to pursue photography as an expressive art form.
The moments captured by Amy's camera are far removed from the "point and click" variety. She often spends hours and even days scouting possible shoot locations.
Amy loves exploring and photographing all the natural wonders that surround her hometown of St. George, Utah.
Amy's profile can be found at Nature's Eye Photography
Jan 13-23, 2023 - Sold Out
March 13-23, 2023 - Sold Out!
Feb 16-23, 2023
Apr 17-20, 2023 - Sold Out!
Apr 21-24, 2023 - Sold Out!
May 12-17, 2023 - Sold Out
May 24-27, 2023
July 23-28, 2023 - 2 Spots Left!
Sept 8-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out
Sept 14-21, 2023
Oct 15-19, 2023 - Sold Out
Nov 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Jan 18-24, 2024 - Sold Out
March 8-18, 2024 - Sold Out!