The Milky Way and Beyond
May 31 - Jun 3, 2022 - Sold Out!!
If you are a fan of the night skies, this Milky Way Photo Workshop is for you! We begin with a fully outfitted overnight camping trip to White Pocket. From there, we have several more outings planned to photograph the brilliant Milky Way. This workshop is rated moderate for physical intensity, with 1-3 miles of hiking each day.
- Photograph some of the most scenic areas of the Southwest before the summer heat and crowds arrive. The exact itinerary will be kept flexible so we can chase the best weather.
- Venture into the remote desert on a fully outfitted camping trip to White Pocket. Capture sunset, Milky Way, and sunrise!
- Learn all the tips and tricks to photographing the night skies from your pro-instructors. You will learn both natural and low-level lighting techniques.
- Workshop includes all lodging and the final group dinner.
- Post-processing sessions are scheduled throughout the workshop to help you make the most out of your images.
The itinerary is being kept flexible to account for weather and current conditions. Expert forecasting, group consensus and weather will dictate our final itinerary. As long as skies are clear, we will plan on photographing the Milky Way during the nighttime hours. If it is cloudy, we will focus more on sunrise/sunset photography.
- Day 1 (May 31): Meet at 1PM in Kanab, UT for a mandatory introductory session. We'll go over logistics and make plans for our upcoming days together. Mid-afternoon, we drive over to Bryce Canyon, check into our hotel, and go out to shoot sunset. After dinner, we return to capture the Milky Way as it arcs high above the beautiful formations.
- Day 2 (June 1): Depending on how late we were up the night before, we may get up early to capture sunrise on the canyon rim or decide to sleep in. After breakfast, we drive back to Kanab. After a short break, we load up our gear and make our way out to White Pocket for a fully-outfitted overnight camping adventure! We photograph sunset, enjoy a hearty dinner, and then head back out to photograph the Milky Way. You'll learn both low-level lighting and natural lighting techniques.
- Day 3 (June 2): For those who have the energy, we get up early for sunrise and then come back to camp for breakfast. We return to town for lunch and a rest break and then re-group for a post-processing session in the evening. Since skies are clear, we head out to a unique area of the Grand Staircase Escalante. These otherworldly rock formations are the perfect foreground for Milky Way images!
- Day 4 (June 3): We find some fields of wildflowers to photograph at sunrise and then return to Kanab for breakfast and midday nap. We meetup in the afternoon for our final post-processing session and enjoy our group dinner. After dinner we run out to a remote section of the Grand Canyon for sunset. The workshop will conclude once we return to Kanab. Lodging for the night of June 3rd is included.
Please arrive in Kanab, UT on May 31st prior to 2PM Utah time for a mandatory orientation session. Single occupancy hotel accommodations are included in the fee. If you would like double occupancy, please Contact Us and we can provide a discount. We'll be at a hotel in Bryce Canyon the night of the 31st. The second night is our outfitted overnight camping adventure in White Pocket. For the nights of June 2nd and 3rd you will be at a hotel in Kanab. We will finish the workshop late at night on June 3rd, so lodging is included. You can plan your return travel the following day, or extend your adventure by with additional outings: Kanab Area Tours
You will need your own transportation to get to the gateway location of Kanab, UT. We will provide transportation for all workshop outings. Everyone on this trip should be in reasonably good physical condition. Although we aren't planning any long hikes on this trip, the uneven terrain, sand, and heat can make short hikes seem much harder. You should be comfortable walking around 1-3 miles per day while carrying your camera gear.
See the gear list further down for specific recommendations. No matter what the weather does, we’ll get awesome photos. If it’s exceptionally wet, some of the dirt roads may be impassable. We'll modify the itinerary accordingly should that be the case. Transportation will be provided in 4WD trucks so we can handle most conditions.
For the overnight camping portion, we will provide all your meals, snacks, and camping gear which includes chairs, tents, sleeping bags, pillows, and pads.
$2250 Per Person
If you would like double occupancy lodging, let us know and we can offer you a discount.
- 4-Day Intensive Photo Workshop
- 3 Nights of Hotel Lodging in Bryce Canyon and Kanab, UT. Price assumes single occupancy. If you would like double occupancy, Contact Us for a discount.
- Fully Outfitted Camping Trip to White Pocket. Includes all food and camping gear.
- All ground transportation and photography guiding during the trip.
- Permits and fees for National Parks and all areas we visit.
- Night photography and instruction.
- Final Group Dinner at one of the nicest restaurants in town.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Kanab, UT.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Meals and snacks with exception of the White Pocket Overnight trip and final group dinner.
When checking out, you can either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90 days prior to the trip to the credit card on file.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body. We recommend full-frame cameras for night photography.
- Backpack to carry your camera gear
- Wide Angle Lens (full frame equivalent): 16-35mm range. If you have a wider lens in the 11-15mm range, bring it! We recommend your lens be f/2.8 or faster for night photography.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Telephoto lenses will come in handy in Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon.
- Circular polarizer filters are useful. Bring any ND filters if you have them.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Remote cord for your camera.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or do any post-processing.
- We may be able to rent you gear if you don't have everything you need.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and long pants (keeps sand out of your shoes).
- Hiking poles or stick if you have balance issues.
- Warm layers, warm jacket, hat, gloves and a rain jacket.
- Headlamp for night photography.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Sun Hat
- Water bottle or hydration bladder
Johnny is a published landscape/fine art photographer living in Heber City, Utah. His award winning art can be found on the walls of clinics, hospitals, airports, hotels, restaurants and private homes throughout Northern Utah. In addition to being a photography guide, Johnny spends the winter months working as a powder ski guide. His years as a wildland firefighter show in his exceptional backcountry navigation and survival skills.
With landscape photography being Johnny's passion, he spends the majority of his free time exploring Utah's vast wilderness areas in search of hidden gems and new photo ops. Johnny is intimately familiar with the Wasatch and Uinta mountain ranges of Northern Utah as well as the the deserts of Southern Utah. Johnny loves to share his passion for photography with others.
See more of Johnny's work below and be sure to follow him on Instagram:
Nickolas is a photographer and tour guide with a particular interest in extreme and unusual locations. His travels have taken him to some fascinating locations, but the American Southwest is his favorite place to photograph.
Nickolas spent the past decade guiding in Alaska, where he provided instruction on photographing the aurora borealis, and shared his knowledge of the far north’s rugged terrain and resilient wildlife.
When not guiding, Nickolas enjoys long distance hiking and extended backpacking trips through remote wilderness areas.
Nickolas's portfolio can be found at Nickolas Warner Photography
Jan 24-29, 2022 - SOLD OUT!!
Feb 28 - Mar 7, 2022 - SOLD OUT!!
May 23-27, 2022 - Sold Out!