White Pocket Photo Tour
Full Day $299 per Person
- White Pocket is our most popular photo tour and the scenery here is absolutely spectacular! Many unique compositions can be made and you'll want to come back again and again.
- Leave the difficult 4x4 driving and route finding to us and maximize your photography time. Professional photo instruction and critique included on all trips.
- A short 5-10 min walk will get you out on the rock formations with myriad photo compositions all around you!
- Small group size capped at 5 people to ensure personalized instruction and individualized attention.
- No permits are required to access White Pocket.
- You'll have around 3.5 hrs on location. We'll keep shooting up to 30 mins after sunset. A night photography extension can be added upon request.
- Tour Length: 8 hours
- Drive Time: A little over 2 hours each way with 1 hour on pavement and 1 hour on rough roads.
- Time Spent on Location: Approx 3.5 hrs
- Tour Departure Time: Tour departure times vary throughout the year. Please refer to the time listed on your booking. Plan to arrive 10 mins early to load your gear and finish the check-in process. The return time is approximately 8 hours after the departure time. Note that we operate on Utah time which is one hour ahead of Las Vegas. During the months of Daylight Savings (approx mid-March through early Nov), Utah is also one hour ahead of Arizona.
- Group Minimum: Our tours require a minimum of 2 people for the base price. After you book, we will try to combine single travelers with others. In the event the minimum is not met, you will have the option to pay the 2-person rate and go on a private tour, reschedule to a different date, or cancel and get a full refund.
- Tour Meetup Location: You will meet at our office in Kanab, UT. The address will be given in your confirmation email. This is a safe place to park your vehicle and you can leave any valuables inside. Once you arrive, you'll load your gear and sign a liability release waiver. Las Vegas is the closest major airport to Kanab. There is no public transportation to Kanab, so you’ll need your own rental car or private vehicle. We recommend that you stay in a hotel in Kanab the evening of your tour. There are many good hotels in the area like the Best Western, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn & Suites, and the Canyons Botique.
- Permits: No permits are required to access White Pocket.
More Trip Details....
- Tour Meetup Outside of Kanab: If you are coming from Page, AZ, we can pick you up at the Scenic Overlook on Highway 89A: Google Maps. Expect at least a 1hr 15min drive from Page, AZ. If you want us to pick you up here, PLEASE CONTACT US AHEAD OF TIME TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS. We will come by approx. 60-90 mins after the tour departure time (note that this is Utah Time, not Arizona Time). Look for the vehicle marked as Action Photo Tours.
- Weather Conditions: We can still access White Pocket even in the most inclement of conditions. If the weather is truly ugly, your tour guide may suggest you visit an alternate destination. This decision will be made the day of the outing based on the consensus of the group. Note that we cannot offer refunds due to weather unless we cannot go out at all. Don’t despise bad weather as that is when you can get the most dramatic photos! Just make sure you are prepared for the conditions the day of your tour.
- Hiking / Fitness: You’ll be on the brainrock of White Pocket after a short and sandy 5-10 min walk. Once there, we’ll hike a total of 2-3 miles while chasing the light and getting you the best photos. The hiking is not strenuous, but it is over uneven terrain with some short, steep sections. All participants should ensure their fitness level is adequate for this trip.
- Night Photography: Occasionally we get requests to stay out later for night photography. A 2-hour night photography add-on is $99/person and will only be done if skies are clear and everyone in the group agrees to it. For the best night photography experience, we recommend booking an Overnight White Pocket Tour.
More Trip Details
- Food/Water: We do not provide food on our outings. All participants should bring food/water to hold them through dinner and while hiking. Many folks will eat their dinner during the drive back to Kanab. We will have a cooler where you can store food and drink.
- What to Wear: Check the weather forecast prior to coming on the trip (search for Kanab, UT and Page, AZ on Weather.com). If it’s going to be hot, wear light-colored clothing and a hat. If the temperatures are cold, bring warm layers and long pants. Don’t forget sunglasses and sunscreen. Even when it’s warm outside, the temperature can drop quickly after the sun sets so you may wish to bring a light jacket. If it’s very cold and or windy, don’t forget a warm hat and some gloves. If rain, wind, or snow are in the forecast, bring a rain jacket, a warm hat, and gloves. We recommend wearing sturdy closed-toe footwear in due to the uneven terrain and sand.
- Restroom Facilities: There are no facilities at White Pocket. We will stop at a restroom if needed about an hour into the drive. If you need to use the restroom at White Pocket, we will have toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and a shovel available.
- Cell Phones: Bring your cell phone along! They are great for capturing candid images. Plus, most folks will have cell service out at White Pocket. Note that cell service is limited during the drive. There are USB ports in our vehicles so bring a charging cable if you need one.
- Group Size: Our groups will never exceed 5 people per guide. We like to keep our photo tours small so we can give adequate individual attention. For those photographers that feel more independent, we will allow you to wander away from the group and explore on your own within reasonable limits.
- Instructors: Due to scheduling complexities, we don't know which instructor will accompany your group until a day or two prior. If you want a specific guide, please Contact Us to make your request. Although we'll do our best to make it happen, please note that there are no guarantees.
- Safety: Our guides are trained in CPR/First-Aid. All 4WD vehicles are equipped with extraction equipment and a first-aid kit. We carry a satellite beacon with us in case of emergencies outside of cell range.
- Camera Gear: A wide angle zoom lens is most useful at White Pocket and will account for the bulk of your shots (equivalent 16-35 on a full-frame camera or 10-22mm on a crop sensor). There are opportunities for mid-range, telephoto, and macro shots so you can bring any of those lenses if you like - just ensure your pack isn’t too heavy. All participants should bring a tripod. For filters, a circular polarizer can come in handy as long as it’s not a clear, blue-sky day. A neutral density filter can be nice to smooth out rough water or create long exposures for fast moving clouds. Don’t forget extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies. Please contact us if you’d like to rent any camera gear for your outing.
- Cancellation/Re-Scheduling: Please see our Terms and Conditions.