White Pocket Overnight Tour
Sunset, Night photos, sunrise!
- Staying overnight is the best way to photograph White Pocket. Many unique compositions can be made here and you'll want to come back again and again.
- As opposed to other outfitters, we cater to photographers by chasing the best light, showing you great compositions, and giving you photo instruction
- You'll get sunset, sunrise, and night photos on this trip!
- Leave the difficult 4x4 driving and route finding to us and maximize your photography time.
- It's a quick 5-10 min walk from where we park. We'll walk around the brainrock and show you some of our favorite compositions.
- Small group size capped at 5 people to ensure personalized instruction and individualized attention.
- Tour Length: 16-24 hours, depending on time of year.
- Drive Time: A little over 2 hours each way with 1 hour on pavement and 1 hour on rough roads.
- Time Spent on Location: Variable depending on season. Approx 15-20 hours.
- Tour Departure Time: Departure times vary throughout the year. Please refer to the time listed on your booking. Plan to arrive 10 mins early to load your gear and finish the check-in process. You will return to Kanab by noon the following day. Note that we operate on Utah time which is one hour ahead of Las Vegas. During the months of Daylight Savings (approx mid-March through early Nov), Utah is also one hour ahead of Arizona.
- Minimum Group Size: Our tours require a minimum of 2 people for the base price. After you book, we will try to combine single travelers with others. In the event the minimum is not met, you will have the option to pay the 2-person rate and go on a private tour, reschedule to a different date, or cancel and get a full refund.
- Tour Meetup Location: You will meet at our office in Kanab, UT. The address will be given in your confirmation email. This is a safe place to park your vehicle and you can leave any valuables inside. Once you arrive, you'll load your gear and sign a liability release waiver. Las Vegas is the closest major airport to Kanab. There is no public transportation to Kanab, so you’ll need your own rental car or private vehicle.
- Camping Gear: Camping gear rental is $49/person and includes tent, sleeping bag, mattress, pillow, chair, and food. Please do not expect luxury camping. Our goal on this trip is to maximize your photography, so we spend as little time as possible in camp. We’ll camp next to the vehicle(s) so don't worry about having to carry your gear. If you elect to bring your own camping gear, note that cargo space is limited so do not bring too much stuff.
More Trip Details....
- Tour Meetup Outside of Kanab: If you are coming from Page, AZ, we can pick you up at the Scenic Overlook on Highway 89A: Google Maps. Expect at least a 1hr 15min drive from Page, AZ. If you want us to pick you up here, PLEASE CONTACT US AHEAD OF TIME TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS. We will come by approx. 60-90 mins after the tour departure time (note that this is Utah Time, not Arizona Time). Look for the vehicle marked as Action Photo Tours.
- Weather Conditions: We can still access White Pocket even in the most inclement of conditions. If the weather is truly ugly, your tour guide may suggest you visit an alternate destination. This decision will be made the day of the outing based on the consensus of the group. Note that we cannot offer refunds due to weather unless we cannot go out at all. Don’t despise bad weather as that is when you can get the most dramatic photos! Just make sure you are prepared for the conditions the day of your tour.
- Hiking / Fitness: You’ll be on the brainrock of White Pocket after a short and sandy 5-10 min walk. Once there, we’ll hike a total of 2-3 miles while chasing the light and getting you the best photos. The hiking is not strenuous, but it is over uneven terrain with some short, steep sections. All participants should ensure their fitness level is adequate for this trip.
- What to Bring: You’ll need to bring any personal toiletries and medications. All participants should have a headlight (or flashlight). Don’t forget some warm clothes and a hat. It’s also a good idea to bring a water bottle (makes things like brushing your teeth much easier).
- Instructors: Due to scheduling complexities, we don't know which instructor will accompany your group until a day or two prior. If you want a specific instructor, then please Contact Us to make your request. Although we'll do our best to make it happen, please note there are no guarantees.
More Trip Details
- Food/Water: We will provide food and beverages on this trip for those that pay the fee to rent camping gear. A hot meal will be served for dinner. Breakfast will include coffee/tea and there is a selection of cold and warm food choices. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions. We will have a water container you can use to refill any water bottles.
- What to Wear: Check the weather forecast prior to coming on the trip (search for Kanab, UT and Page, AZ on Weather.com). If it’s going to be hot, wear light-colored clothing and a hat. If the temperatures are cold, bring warm layers and long pants. Don’t forget sunglasses and sunscreen. Even when it’s warm outside, the temperature can drop quickly after the sun sets so you may wish to bring a light jacket. If it’s very cold and or windy, don’t forget a warm hat and some gloves. If rain, wind, or snow are in the forecast, bring a rain jacket, a warm hat, and gloves. We recommend wearing sturdy closed-toe footwear in due to the uneven terrain and sand.
- Restroom Facilities: There are no facilities at White Pocket. We will stop at a restroom if needed about an hour into the drive. If you need to use the restroom at White Pocket, we will have toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and a shovel available.
- Cell Phones: Bring your cell phone along! They are great for capturing candid images. Plus, most folks will have cell service out at White Pocket. Note that cell service is limited during the drive. There are USB ports in our vehicles so bring a charging cable if you need one.
- Group Size: Our groups will never exceed 5 people per guide. We like to keep our photo tours small so we can give adequate individual attention. For those photographers that feel more independent, we will allow you to wander away from the group and explore on your own within reasonable limits.
- Safety: Our guides are trained in CPR/First-Aid. All 4WD vehicles are equipped with extraction equipment and a first-aid kit. We carry a satellite beacon with us in case of emergencies outside of cell range.
Camera Gear & Night Photography
- Camera Gear: A wide angle zoom lens is most useful at South Coyote (equivalent 16-35 on a full-frame camera or 10-22mm on a crop sensor). There are opportunities for mid-range, telephoto, and macro shots so you can bring any of those lenses if you like - just ensure your pack isn’t too heavy. But do note that the bulk of your photos will come from the wide angle lens. All participants should bring a tripod. For filters, a circular polarizer can come in handy as long as it’s not a clear, blue-sky day. A neutral density filter can be nice to smooth out rough water or create long exposures for fast moving clouds. Don’t forget extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies. Please contact us if you’d like to rent any camera gear for your outing.
- Night Photography: We include at least an hour of night photography guiding/instruction on our overnight trips. You can do more than that on your own if you’d like. Depending on what the group wants, we will teach either natural lighting or low-level lighting techniques. The galactic core of the Milky Way can be seen from March through Early Oct. Make sure you plan your dates for little to no moon interference if you want to photograph the Milky Way. On nights where the moon is out, we’ll focus on moonscapes instead, which can be really cool with a few wispy clouds. You’ll want a fast wide-angle lens, preferably on a full-frame camera body for night photography (f2.8 or faster). Also, you’ll need a remote cord or intervalometer. If you don't have the right gear, we have equipment available for rent. Practice using your camera in the dark before you come!
- Cancellation/Re-Scheduling: Please see our Terms and Conditions.