Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Winter Photo Workshop
Jan 25-Feb 5, 2024 - Sold Out!!
Join the ultimate winter wildlife photo safari in Yellowstone National Park. With 6 participants and 2 instructors on our own private snowcoach, everyone is guaranteed quick access to their gear when animal sightings happen. We'll also focus on the breathtaking snowy landscapes and colorful hot springs. As a bonus, the workshop includes an additional 4 days in Grand Tetons! Expect to learn a lot of new skills from pro instructors David Swindler and Juan Pons. Juan has been leading Yellowstone Workshops for the past 20 years and knows where to find the wildlife!
- 12 Days
Max Group Size
- 3 Students per Instructor
- Max 6 Students
- David Swindler
- Juan Pons
- Experience the Serengeti of North America with the largest concentration of free-roaming wildlife in the lower 48 states! Winter is one of the best times to capture the wildlife and landscapes in Yellowstone.
- Instructors David Swindler and Juan Pons will make sure you get the best shots. Juan has been guiding photo workshops in Yellowstone for over two decades and intimately knows the behavior pattern of its wildlife.
- Transportation is provided in private snowcoach and a comfortable van. Workshop is capped at 6 participants and 2 instructors for plenty of individual attention and space for gear.
- The workshop is all-inclusive with lodging, meals, and ground transportation included.
- You will learn lots of new photography skills while in the field along with post-processing and image critique sessions.
The exact itinerary will be kept flexible to account for the weather and current conditions in the park. We will optimize our time for the best possible photography. Since our dates at the Snow Lodge get assigned to us later in the year, there is a small chance the workshop dates may shift slightly.
- Day 1: Arrive at Bozeman, MT (BZN) Airport no later than 2PM. We will pick up participants from the airport and transfer to hotel in Gardiner. We'll meet together for a mandatory orientation session, review the latest wildlife reports and discuss our final itinerary.
- Days 2-3: We will focus on the Mammoth and Lamar Valley sides of the park on these days, photographing both landscapes and wildlife. This is also the best area of the park to find wolves! We will photograph the Mammoth thermal features as well. We will be stopping all along the way for wildlife and landscape photos.
- Day 4: Today we travel via private snow coach along the Madison River looking for wildlife and scenic photo ops. Most snowcoach tours will pack 14+ people into one vehicle, but we will be comfortable with only 6 workshop participants. This way we have plenty of room for gear, warm clothes, and quick exit/entry for our photo ops. Scenic viewpoints abound and we'll end the day with sunset at Old Faithful. We may stay out after dark for some night photography too!
- Day 5: We continue our journey via private snowcoach deep into the interior of Yellowstone, visiting West Thumb Geyser and Hayden Valley. Overnight at Old Faithful.
- Day 6: Today we travel back to Mammoth via private snowcoach and visit the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone along the way. Expect lots of stops for wildlife and landscape photos! Overnight in Gardiner.
- Day 7: Today we travel back through Lamar Valley stopping at different photo ops alongs the way. Lunch in Cook City and then return to Mammoth via Lamar. We'll end the day with an evening session and image presentations. Overnight in Gardiner.
- Day 8: We depart early in the morning to make the drive down to Grand Teton National Park. We will make several stops along the way for different views of the Tetons. After checking into our hotel in Jackson, we head out to catch sunset.
- Days 9-11: We spend the next 3 days exploring Grand Teton National Park. The locations we visit will depend on weather conditions. We search for, and photograph the different wildlife that make the park home such as Moose, Big Horn Sheep, Elk, Red Fox, Wolves and more.
- Day 12: We spend our last morning together capturing early light on the landscape. After breakfast, we head to Jackson Hole Airport (JAC) where we say our final goodbyes.
What to Expect
Our workshops are pretty intense - you should not expect a leisurely vacation. Our goal is to capture the best images possible during our time together and this means starting well before dawn and ending after sunset. However, we will usually take a longer lunch break to rest and recuperate.
This workshop is unique with a very small group and 3:1 participant to instructor ratio! We want EVERY participant to have fast access to their gear without being held up by a large group. This is essential when speed is of the essence for either shooting or exiting the vehicle to get the shot. We also want to ensure you have plenty of room for your gear and warm clothing. Compare that to your typical Yellowstone workshop where you have one instructor and up to 14 participants in a single van! Rest assured you will have the best vantage points at all times without being held back by a large group or overcrowded vehicle/snow-coach.
Expert wildlife and landscape photographer Juan Pons has led Yellowstone workshops for the past 20 years. He knows the park intimately and will ensure we get to the best spots and find the wildlife. Instructor David Swindler will be joining him and both pros will be on hand throughout the workshop to teach you new skills and ensure you get the best photos!
After you register, we'll be emailing you detailed information on how to book your flights along with checklists for clothing and gear to bring. We will continue to stay in touch as we get closer to ensure you are setup for success before you even arrive. You will be flying into Bozeman, MT and flying out of Jackson Hole, WY.
Temperatures will be very cold in Jan/Feb but this is also what makes the photography so good this time of year with frost-lined trees, foggy meadows, and snowy landscapes! We will make sure you have the right gear to comfortably photograph in these frigid conditions.
$9995/person + Tax
Single rooms are available for an additional fee of $1300
- 11 Nights Hotel Lodging in Gardiner, Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Jackson, WY
- All Meals and Snacks.
- All Ground Transportation to/from Bozeman Airport
- Van and Private Snow-Coach Transportation
- All Permits and Park Fees.
- In-Field Photography Instruction
- Post-processing and Image Critique
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Bozeman, MT.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Instructor Gratuities.
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90 days prior to the credit card we have on file. See the full Terms and Conditions.
We are an authorized permittee of the National Park Service.
Founder - Photography Instructor
David Swindler is an award-winning landscape and wildlife photographer. Among others, he has been recognized by the International Photography Awards, Siena International Photo Awards, Sony World Photography Awards, International Landscape Photographer of the Year, and National Geographic. He received a degree in chemical engineering and worked in the semiconductor industry specializing in optics and photolithography. In 2014, he left his day job to follow his true passion. He has traveled to some of the most remote regions of the world and has extensive experience photographing a wide variety of subjects and conditions. As the founder of Action Photo Tours, he finds great satisfaction in helping others learn photography, especially in the wild desert environment near his home in Kanab, UT. David is an expert in night photography and loves to get out and shoot the starry night skies.
Gallery Awards and Media Coverage
Having guided photo tours for years, David is very familiar with many different types of cameras. He is a master with light and composition. But most importantly, his dedication to his clients is what really sets him apart! But don't take our word for it - read what others are saying: Trip Advisor.
Born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Juan is a nature and wildlife photographer, whose passion is photographing our worlds magnificent wildlife and natural features. Juan is a strong supporter of wildlife and natural habitat conservation and is a member of several conservation organizations. Though private individuals purchase photos directly from him, Juan donates his images to non-profit organizations with nature and wildlife preservation missions. Juan never ceases to be amazed by the natural subjects he photographs and hopes that sharing his photographs will inspire others to appreciate and respect natural life.
With more than 30 years experience in photography, Juan has also become a recognized expert in Wildlife Photography, Lightroom and on maximizing the capabilities of DSLRs when shooting video.
Juan travels extensively capturing nature’s beauty, and has been teaching photography out in the field and the classroom for more than 18 years. Listen to an interview with Juan on The Candid Frame Podcast.
Juan’s work has been featured on numerous publications, including: Sierra Magazine, Nature Conservancy, Audubon Magazine, American Photo, Audubon North Carolina, Wildlife in North Carolina, The Independent, and many others.
Juan has been the founder of numerous popular photography podcasts and most recently started a new YouTube channel features all things photography.
Palouse Barns Photo Workshop
June 30-July 3, 2023 - 2 Spots Left!
Mt. Rainier Wildflowers
Beyond the Badlands – Full Moon
Zion Fall Colors Workshop
Eastern Sierras Photo Workshop
Death Valley Photo Workshop
Winter Horse Ranch
Jan 18-24, 2024 - 2 Spots Left!
Alaska Aurora Borealis
Feb 29-Mar 7, 2024
Winter in the Desert
Death Valley and Stars
Mar 10-15, 2024 - Sold Out!
Reflection Canyon Photo Workshop
Monument Valley and Native Cultures
Lake Powell Houseboat Workshop
Antarctica and South Georgia
Hidden Gems Southwest
Spring in the Palouse Photo Workshop
June 10-13, 2023 - Sold Out!
South Dakota Badlands Photo Workshop
Incredible Indonesia Photo Workshop
Olympic National Park Photo Workshop
Storms & Saguaros
July 20-24, 2023 - Sold Out
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
July 23-28, 2023 - Sold Out
Palouse Harvest Photo Workshop
Grand Canyon Monsoon
White Pocket Monsoon
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop 2023
Sept 8-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Red Sails in Greenland 2023
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out!
Arctic Wildlife & Landscapes
Alaska Fall Colors
Rifugios in the Dolomites
Sept 14-21, 2023 - Sold Out!
Bisti Badlands – Fall
Oct 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Oct 15-19, 2023 - Sold Out
Northern Utah Fall Colors
Southwest Annular Eclipse
Photopills Annular Eclipse
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop Fall
Beyond the Badlands – Fall Colors
Cypress Swamps Photo Workshop
Nov 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Hidden Gems Southwest Fall
Canadian Rockies in Winter
Jan 28-Feb 5, 2024 - Sold Out!
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in Winter
Iceland In Winter Photo Workshop
March 8-18, 2024 - Sold Out!
Total Solar Eclipse Workshop
Wild Tigers Safari India
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop
Kenya by Land, Air, & Night
July 27 - Aug 7, 2024 - Sold Out!
Red Sails in Greenland
July 28-August 2, 2024 - Sold Out!
Big Cats Africa Safari
Nov 3 - 14, 2024 - Sold Out!