Southwest Full Moon Fiesta
March 5-8, 2023
There is no better place to capture the beauty of the full moon than in the stunning landscapes of the desert Southwest! You will photograph White Pocket, the winter wonderland of Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion, and many other hidden gems. Designed to accompany the Outsiders Photography Conference, this is the perfect outing to add on to your conference experience. Post-processing and image critique sessions will be scheduled throughout the workshop to help make the most of your images.
- Includes Lodging
Max Group Size
- 4 Students per Instructor
- Max 8 Students
- Nickolas Warner
- Ryan McGinty
- Full Moon Mania - shoot the full moon with the stunning desert landscapes.
- This is the perfect workshop to add on to the Outsiders Photography Conference held March 3-5 in Kanab.
- Visit the remote and highly photogenic White Pocket.
- Photograph Bryce Canyon during the winter season. It looks amazing when blanketed in snow!
- Workshop includes hotel lodging and all ground transportation.
- Learn many new in-field and post-processing techniques from expert instructors.
The itinerary is being kept flexible to account for weather and current conditions. Expert forecasting, group consensus and weather will dictate our final itineray.
- Day 1 (Mar 5): Meet at 3PM at the Best Western in Kanab for a quick orientation session. We'll leave straightway for our sunset shoot in the scenic Grand Staircase Escalante and return to town for dinner.
- Day 2 (Mar 6): We leave very early this morning to get out to White Pocket before sunrise. We setup our shots to capture the full moonset under the soft twilight glow. We continue to photograph the amazing rock formations in White Pocket for several hours. If we're lucky, we might even get some reflections in the water pockets! We return to Kanab for lunch and a midday break. We meet back up in the afternoon for a short classroom session before loading up for the adventurous 4x4 excursion to a stunning viewpoint high above Lake Powell. We'll capture the full moon as it rises above the golden cliffs surrounding the lake.
- Day 3 (Mar 7): We are out early for sunrise at an incredible viewpoint near Zion where we'll also photograph the full moon as it sets behind the jagged peaks. We return to town for breakfast and hold another classroom session. After lunch we pack up and make our way up to Bryce Canyon where we'll enjoy our final shoot with the rising full moon!
- Day 4 (Mar 8): We get out early to capture sunrise in Bryce Canyon. We photograph several different locations and also do some short hikes. We then check out of our hotel and make our way back to Kanab. We'll hold one final image critique and post-processing session when we return. If you need to hit the road early, you can skip this session. The workshop will conclude no later than 3PM.
Please arrive in Kanab, UT no later than 3PM Utah time on March 5th for the orientation session. Double occupancy hotel accommodations are included in the base price. Single occupancy is available for a small surcharge (see Pricing Section below). We will be staying in Kanab, UT the nights of Mar 5th and 6th and in Bryce Canyon for the night of Mar 7th. The workshop will conclude no later than 3PM on Mar 8th in Kanab. If you need to hit the road early, you can always skip the final classroom session. No lodging is included for the night of Mar 8th.
You will need your own transportation to get to the gateway location of Kanab, UT. We will provide transportation for all workshop outings. You will have a choice whether to drive your own vehicle when we relocate between Kanab and Bryce Canyon City.
All participants on this trip should be in reasonably good physical condition. Although we aren't planning any long hikes on this trip, the uneven terrain, sand, and heat can make short hikes seem much harder. You should be comfortable walking around 2-3 miles per day.
See the gear list further down for specific recommendations. No matter what the weather does, we’ll get awesome photos. If it’s exceptionally wet, some of the dirt roads may be impassable. We'll modify the itinerary accordingly should that be the case. Transportation will be provided in 4WD trucks so we can handle most conditions.
We will schedule a pre-workshop zoom meeting with all participants 2-3 weeks prior to help ensure you are well prepared for your outing. Make sure you add email@example.com to your email safe list!
$1750/Person + Tax
Join our Loyalty Program and Save 10%!
- 4 Day Intensive Photo Workshop with max of 8 participants and 2 professional photographers.
- 3 Nights Double Occupancy Hotel Lodging in Kanab and Bryce Canyon. Single Occupancy adds $200/person.
- All ground transportation and photography guiding.
- All entrance fees for the National Parks.
- Post-Processing and Image Critique Sessions.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Kanab, UT.
- Meals and snacks.
- Instructor Gratuities
Since we are within 90-days of the trip date, please pay the full amount upon booking to secure your spot. We will schedule a pre-workshop zoom meeting with all participants 2-3 weeks prior.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body.
- Backpack to carry your camera gear.
- Wide Angle Lens (full-frame equivalent): 16-35mm range. If you have a wider lens in the 11-15mm range, bring it!
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Telephoto lenses will be useful for capturing the moon. Recommend something in the 100-400mm range.
- Circular polarizer filters are useful. Bring any ND filters if you have them.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Remote cord for your camera.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or do any post-processing.
- We may be able to rent you gear if you don't have everything you need.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and long pants.
- Warm layers, warm hat & gloves.
- Rain jacket or shell jacket for wind and bad weather.
- Hiking poles or stick if you have balance issues.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Sun Hat
- Water bottle or hydration bladder
Nickolas Warner is an award-winning photographer with recognition by the Epson Pano Awards, International Landscape Photographer of the Year, and Outdoor Photographer. He has a particular interest in extreme and unusual locations. His travels have taken him to some fascinating locations, but the American Southwest is his favorite place to photograph.
Nickolas spent the past decade guiding in Alaska, where he provided instruction on photographing the aurora borealis, and shared his knowledge of the far north’s rugged terrain and resilient wildlife.
When not guiding, Nickolas enjoys long distance hiking and extended backpacking trips through remote wilderness areas.
Nickolas's portfolio can be found at Nickolas Warner Photography
Ryan McGinty is a seasoned landscape photographer living in the Palouse area of southeastern Washington. His first-hand experience in this unique agricultural area makes him the perfect instructor to lead people to out-of-the-way places for those once-in-a-lifetime rainbows, sunsets and sunrises in the beautiful rolling hills. He loves chasing the light and diligently checks weather apps to get the latest sun and rain predictions, cloud formations, wind and temperatures for the best locations and light.
His interest in photography started at an early age and continued in college with graduate work at Brooks Institute of Photography. His experience in portrait, wedding, film, and medium and large format photography give him an extraordinary background for his award-winning landscape photography.
His passion for the Palouse is only exceeded by his passion for photography and his desire to show people his favorite places. He takes a legitimate interest in his clients and strives hard to ensure they get the best shots. His photographs have been published in books, calendars and travel guides.
Palouse Barns Photo Workshop
June 30-July 3, 2023 - 2 Spots Left!
Mt. Rainier Wildflowers
Beyond the Badlands – Full Moon
Zion Fall Colors Workshop
Eastern Sierras Photo Workshop
Death Valley Photo Workshop
Winter Horse Ranch
Jan 18-24, 2024 - 2 Spots Left!
Alaska Aurora Borealis
Feb 29-Mar 7, 2024
Winter in the Desert
Death Valley and Stars
Mar 10-15, 2024 - Sold Out!
Reflection Canyon Photo Workshop
Monument Valley and Native Cultures
Lake Powell Houseboat Workshop
Antarctica and South Georgia
Hidden Gems Southwest
Spring in the Palouse Photo Workshop
June 10-13, 2023 - Sold Out!
South Dakota Badlands Photo Workshop
Incredible Indonesia Photo Workshop
Olympic National Park Photo Workshop
Storms & Saguaros
July 20-24, 2023 - Sold Out
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
July 23-28, 2023 - Sold Out
Palouse Harvest Photo Workshop
Grand Canyon Monsoon
White Pocket Monsoon
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop 2023
Sept 8-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Red Sails in Greenland 2023
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out!
Arctic Wildlife & Landscapes
Alaska Fall Colors
Rifugios in the Dolomites
Sept 14-21, 2023 - Sold Out!
Bisti Badlands – Fall
Oct 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Oct 15-19, 2023 - Sold Out
Northern Utah Fall Colors
Southwest Annular Eclipse
Photopills Annular Eclipse
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop Fall
Beyond the Badlands – Fall Colors
Cypress Swamps Photo Workshop
Nov 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Hidden Gems Southwest Fall
Canadian Rockies in Winter
Jan 28-Feb 5, 2024 - Sold Out!
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in Winter
Iceland In Winter Photo Workshop
March 8-18, 2024 - Sold Out!
Total Solar Eclipse Workshop
Wild Tigers Safari India
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop
Kenya by Land, Air, & Night
July 27 - Aug 7, 2024 - Sold Out!
Red Sails in Greenland
July 28-August 2, 2024 - Sold Out!
Big Cats Africa Safari
Nov 3 - 14, 2024 - Sold Out!