Red Sails in Greenland Photo Workshop
Aug 28-Sept 2, 2023 - Sold Out!
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out!
Greenland is a mysterious land and home to many of the planet’s most spectacular icescapes. Join us on an incredible 6-day workshop as we photograph pristine icebergs and frozen landscapes aboard the iconic red sailboats! By using 2 boats, we'll be able to strategically place them for the best photos. Dates are timed to coincide with the full moon. If skies are clear, we'll capture the moon over the icebergs with our long lenses! This is also a prime time for whale watching and they can often be seen swimming right next to our boat! Workshop is all inclusive.
- All Inclusive
Max Group Size
- 2 Large Sailboats
- 8 Students per Boat
- David Swindler
- Raymond Hoffman
- During our 6-days together we'll photograph Greenland's primitive wilderness, isolated villages, marine wildlife, and pristine icebergs.
- Sail next to some of the greatest icebergs on Earth under the magical illumination of the arctic sun. By using two highly photogenic red sailboats, we can position them perfectly for photos.
- The dates were carefully selected to coincide with the full moon period! The Sept 2-7 group will have the opportunity to photograph a nearly full moon on the first two nights. Using long lenses, we'll capture the icebergs, sailboats, and the moon.
- Each evening will be spent at one of Greenland’s 4-star hotels, where we'll enjoy local food and fabulous 3-course dinners. Workshop is all-inclusive.
- This is prime time for whale watching and it's likely we'll see them swimming right next to our boats!
- Learn many new photo skills and techniques from award-winning photographers David Swindler and Raymond Hoffman.
The itinerary may be subject to change due to the unpredictability of weather. However, we will make every effort to optimize our shooting conditions no matter what the weather throws at us.
During this workshop, we will take advantage of the best light, which typically is just before sunset and well into the evening hours. Our sailings will take place after dinner and we may not get back until 1-2AM. We will sleep in the next morning, have a late breakfast, and commence the next day's activities.
- Day 1 (Aug 28): Travel to Illulissat, Greenland, arriving no later than 5PM. We'll get settled into our hotel, have dinner, and depart to the Icefjord. We sail among some incredible icebergs and photograph the gorgeous colors of the twilight. We return to port well after midnight.
- Day 2 (Aug 29): Breakfast at the hotel is followed by a post-processing session and leisurely afternoon. After dinner we sail into the Icefjord, visiting several small settlements to the south, including Kangia, Qasigiannguit, and/or Ilimanaq. Greenlandic settlements tend be colorful, and full of character. On our journey back to port, we hunt for open water icebergs, castles, towers and archways, which come in a staggering variety of shapes and sizes. Expect another late night arrival.
- Day 3 (Aug 30): We take time to catch up on some much needed rest this morning. After lunch, we hop aboard our boats to visit the small settlements of Oqaatsut or Rodebay. We enjoy dinner at a small restaurant with a big history. Late in the evening we head back to Ilulissat and begin a night hike to Sermermiut and the nearby Sermeq Kujalleq glacier. This is where all of the Disko Bay icebergs begin their journey and the views are striking. The hike is about 1 hour each way with minimal elevation gain. We will have plenty of stops along the way to enjoy the beautiful light, while keeping an eye out for the local wildlife.
- Day 4 (Aug 31): Breakfast is followed by another post-processing session. After dinner we once again set sail, skirting around the Icefjord in search of the best compositions and light. If skies are clear, we'll find lots of shooting opportunities with the full moon. This area is a UNESCO world heritage site with myriad photo compositions.
- Day 5 (Sept 1): After breakfast we spend a couple hours in the classroom. By this point in the expedition, there will be a mounds of photos to process and plenty of questions to be answered. As evening falls we once again set sail in search of icebergs, wildlife and gorgeous light! We strategically place the boats at the best angles for photography.
- Day 6 (Sept 2): After a hearty breakfast we have a farewell meeting, and say our goodbyes. Airport transfers are included.
$5200/Person + Tax
- 5 nights double occupancy lodging, 4 star hotel. Single supplement adds $900.
- Breakfasts and dinners at Greenland's best restaurants
- Private boat charter on 2 red sailboats
- Photography guiding and instruction throughout the trip.
- All transportation during the workshop along with airport transfers
- Port taxes and fees
Trip Does NOT Include:
- International flights to/from Ilulissat, Greenland.
- Alcohol, snacks, beverages
- Visa (if applicable)
- Gratuities for Instructors and Boat Crew
A 50% deposit is required to secure your spot. The remaining balance will be charged 90 days prior to the workshop to the credit card we have on file. Please note that we cannot give the 10% loyalty discount on this workshop.
- After you book, we'll send you more information for booking your flights. For some dates, you may have to add an extra stopover in Nuuk. For now, flight schedules are not published that far in advance. Most travelers coming from the US will want to fly in via Reykjavik or Copenhagen.
- It is very likely that we will experience every type of weather. Warm sunshine, gale force winds, and rain are all possible within the same day. See the gear list below.
- We highly recommend travel insurance to cover any non-refundable fees or medical costs. We have partnered with Squaremouth, a website that allows you to compare policies from multiple providers to choose the best one for you.
- Greenland is absolutely stunning from the ground, but it is equally amazing from above. If you own a drone, you are welcome to bring it along. However, we highly recommend you get crash insurance for your drone since magnetic interference has caused drones to go berserk in the past.
- The instructors will be available throughout the trip to help you with your shooting settings, images, and post-processing.
- If you wish to extend your adventure, add-on one of our Iceland Highlands Workshops
- Mild to moderate hiking is required to reach some locations.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy tripod and ballhead. While on the boat, we won't use the tripod much but a monopod can definitely come in handy.
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body.
- Wide angle lens in the 16-35mm range.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Long telephoto lenses will come in handy for the full moon, landscape compression, and wildlife encounters. We recommend a 100-400mm for maximum flexibility.
- Circular polarizer filters for your lenses. If you like shooting with grads, bring them along. ND filters may be used when shooting long exposures from the shoreline.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Remote cord for your camera.
- Cover for your camera/lens to protect against high winds and rain.
- Camera backpack you can use while hiking.
- Drone camera and extra batteries for aerial photography (optional).
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or follow along during the post-processing instruction.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy waterproof hiking footwear, hiking socks, and quick-dry pants (we don't recommend jeans).
- A rain jacket with hood along with warm layers.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat, Beanie, and Gloves
- Water bottle or hydration bladder.
- Hiking poles if you like having them.
Founder - Photography Instructor
David Swindler is an award-winning landscape and wildlife photographer. Among others, he has been recognized by International Photography Awards, Siena International Photo Awards, Sony World Photography Awards, International Landscape Photographer of the Year, and National Geographic. He received a degree in chemical engineering and worked in the semiconductor industry specializing in optics and photolithography. In 2014, he left his day job to follow his true passion. He has traveled to some of the most remote regions of the world and has extensive experience photographing a wide variety of subjects and conditions. He finds great satisfaction in helping others learn photography, especially in the wild desert environment near his home in Kanab, UT. David is an expert in night photography and loves to get out and shoot the starry night skies. Catch a glimpse of David's work in the slideshow, and follow the links below to see more!
Gallery Awards and Media Coverage
Having guided photo tours for years, David is very familiar with many different types of cameras. He is a master with light and composition. But most importantly, his dedication to his clients is what really sets him apart! Just read what others are saying here: Trip Advisor.
Raymond is an award-winning photographer known for his magnificent landscape photos. His career took off in 2011 when he was voted "Best Nature Photographer" by one of Europe’s largest online photo communities. Raymond’s work has been featured in various publications, and he actively takes on assignments for publishers and advertising agencies.
Raymond also works as a nature photographer, leading tours across the stunning nordic nations.
Secret Slot Canyon Workshop
Hidden Gems Southwest
Palouse Barns Photo Workshop
June 30-July 3, 2023 - 2 Spots Left!
Palouse Harvest Photo Workshop
Rifugios in the Dolomites
Sept 14-21, 2023 - Sold Out!
Beyond the Badlands – Full Moon
Bisti Badlands – Fall
Oct 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Oct 15-19, 2023 - Sold Out
Zion Fall Colors Workshop
Eastern Sierras Photo Workshop
Horse Ranch Winter Photo Workshop
Jan 18-24, 2024 - 1 Spot Left!
Iceland In Winter Photo Workshop
March 8-18, 2024 - Sold Out!
Red Sails in Greenland
July 28-August 2, 2024 - 2 Spots Left!
Big Cats Africa Safari
Nov 3 - 14, 2024
Wild Horses in Utah
Apr 17-20, 2023 - Sold Out!
Apr 21-24, 2023 - Sold Out!
Monument Valley and Native Cultures
May 19-23, 2023 - Sold Out!
Beyond the Badlands – Spring
May 12-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Grand Staircase and Beyond
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop
Southern Oregon Coast Photo Workshop
Spring in the Palouse – For Women Photographers
May 24-27, 2023 - Sold Out
Bisti Badlands – Spring
Redwoods Photo Workshop
Spring in the Palouse Photo Workshop
June 10-13, 2023 - Sold Out!
South Dakota Badlands Photo Workshop
Incredible Indonesia Photo Workshop
Olympic National Park Photo Workshop
Storms & Saguaros
July 20-24, 2023 - Sold Out
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
July 23-28, 2023 - Sold Out
Grand Canyon Monsoon
Mt. Rainier Wildflowers
White Pocket Monsoon
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop 2023
Sept 8-17, 2023 - Sold Out
Red Sails in Greenland 2023
Sept 2-7, 2023 - Sold Out!
Arctic Wildlife & Landscapes
Alaska Fall Colors
Northern Utah Fall Colors
Southwest Annular Eclipse
Central Oregon Coast Photo Workshop Fall
Beyond the Badlands – Fall Colors
Cypress Swamps Photo Workshop
Nov 5-9, 2023 - Sold Out
Hidden Gems Southwest Fall
Canadian Rockies in Winter
Jan 28-Feb 5, 2024 - Sold Out!
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in Winter
Alaska Aurora Borealis
Wild Tigers Safari India
Alaska Brown Bears Photo Workshop
Iceland Highlands Photo Workshop
Kenya by Land, Air, & Night
July 27 - Aug 7, 2024 - Sold Out!