Southern Utah Fall Colors
Oct 21-25, 2021 - Sold Out!!
Fall brings gorgeous displays of color to the diverse landscapes of Southern Utah. We journey through Capitol Reef, Escalante, and Zion in pursuit of the perfect autumn colors. The itinerary is flexible, allowing us to chase the best weather and conditions. We aren’t planning any difficult hikes on this workshop, but we may have some days where we’ll hike up to 6-miles over easy terrain. All participants should be in good physical condition to be able to hike with their camera gear.
- Late-October brings peak fall color to many of Southern Utah’s most scenic destinations. The workshop will focus on Capitol Reef, Escalante, Zion and all areas in-between!
- Learn new photography skills and receive image critique from pro-photographer Johnny Adolphson.
- With permits to guide all over the Southwest, the itinerary will be kept flexible to allow us to chase the best fall colors. Our job is to get you the best photos possible!
- Post-processing instruction is included throughout the workshop to improve your skills in Photoshop and Lightroom.
- We provide the transportation during the workshop so you don't have to worry about the rough roads.
- Workshops includes a final group dinner at one of the nicest restaurants in town to celebrate this novel experience and the new friends we have made.
In order to give our clients the best possible photography experience, we keep the itinerary flexible to account for autumn color, weather conditions, and group interest. The workshop dates coincide with peak fall color in places like Capitol Reef, Escalante, and East Zion. However, fall color can be a fickle thing and it sometimes comes earlier or later than predicted. We reserve the right to change the itinerary and shooting locations accordingly.
- Day 1 – Oct 21: The Workshop begins at 11AM in Kanab, UT with a short orientation session and classroom style instruction. After lunch, we load up the rig and head north towards Capitol Reef National Park. This drive is incredibly beautiful and there’s little wonder why it’s deemed one of the most scenic highways in America. We’ll stop to photograph the prime fall colors along the way. After photographing sunset from a beautiful viewpoint, we arrive in Torrey, UT after dark to check into our hotel.
- Day 2 – Oct 22: We are up well before dawn to photograph sunrise at a dramatic arch. Next, we visit several spots along the river with clusters of cottonwood trees in peak fall colors. Their yellow color really pops in the mid-morning light and is the perfect complement to the blue sky above. We spend the rest of the day photographing areas in and around Capitol Reef National Park. After dinner, we elect to go out and shoot some nightscapes before retiring to bed.
- Day 3 - Oct 23: We shoot our final sunrise in Capitol Reef before heading for the town of Escalante. After checking into the hotel, we begin the afternoon with a hike through a tree-filled riparian area. The fall colors deep in this canyon are simply incredible and we take our time photographing both grand and intimate scenes. The waterfall at the end of the canyon is just icing on the cake! We shoot sunset overlooking the brilliant fall colors of the Escalante River.
- Day 4– Oct 24: After a sunrise shoot in Escalante, we begin our journey back to Kanab, stopping for photo ops along the way. After checking into our hotel and a short lunch/mid-afternoon break, we head out for sunset amidst the fall colors adorning Zion National Park.
- Day 5– Oct 25. This is our final day together, and we up early to catch a brilliant sunrise at Zion. Fall color is at it's peak, and we can’t get enough of the brilliant red maples, orange scrub oaks, and yellow cottonwoods. We also visit a slot canyon where the trees are just beginning to change color. The conditions are perfect for both big landscapes and more intimate abstracts. We return to town after sunset, and enjoy our final group dinner at one of the finest restaurants in town. The workshop will conclude around 8:00PM. Depending on your travel plans, you may want to consider booking an additional night's lodging in Kanab. We recommend Best Western Red Hills where the group will be based on the night of Oct 24th.
The trip will begin and end in Kanab, UT. We will provide transportation to workshop participants but you also have the option to follow us and drive your own vehicle. The roads we will be driving between Kanab, Escalante, and Capitol Reef are suitable for passenger cars. We will ride together in our 4WD trucks whenever we venture off-road. If you do decide to ride with us between Kanab, Escalante, and Capitol Reef, just make sure you don’t pack too many things since cargo space is limited.
The workshop fee includes single occupancy lodging. If you would like double occupancy, we can give each person a $300 discount. We will be in Torrey the nights of Oct 21st & 22nd, in Escalante Oct 23rd, and Kanab, Oct 24th. The workshop will conclude by 8PM on Oct 25th. It's up to you if you want to spend the night of the 25th in Kanab or head off somewhere else.
We aren’t planning any difficult hikes on this workshop, but we may have some days where we’ll hike up to 6-miles over easy terrain. All participants should be in good physical condition to be able to hike with their camera gear. Make sure you bring cold weather clothing in case we get some nippy mornings in the high country.
Drones are prohibited in the National Parks, although there are some areas outside of the parks they can be flown. You are welcome to bring a drone, but please be cognizant of other workshop participants and their enjoyment.
$2595/person + Tax
- 5-Day Intensive Photo Workshop
- All ground transportation and photography guiding during the trip.
- 4 nights of single-occupancy lodging. If you would like double occupancy, we can give you a $300/person discount.
- Post-processing instruction and image critique
- Park entrance fees.
- Final group lunch.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Kanab, UT.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Meals and snacks with exception of final group lunch.
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90-days prior to arrival to the credit card we have on file.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body.
- Wide angle lens (16-35mm is perfect). For crop sensor, you'll want 10-22mm.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Telephoto lenses will come in handy for creating abstract images and isolating the fall colors.
- Circular polarizer filters are useful. Bring any ND filters if you have them.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Remote cord for your camera. An intervalometer will be especially useful for doing long exposures at night.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or follow along during the post-processing instruction.
- We may be able to rent you gear if you don't have everything you need.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and long pants .
- A rain jacket and several warm layers since it can get cold at night.
- Headlamp for night photography.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat.
- Water bottle or hydration bladder.
- Hiking poles if you like having them.
Johnny is a published landscape/fine art photographer living in Heber City, Utah. His award winning art can be found on the walls of clinics, hospitals, airports, hotels, restaurants and private homes throughout Northern Utah. In addition to being a photography guide, Johnny spends the winter months working as a powder ski guide. His years as a wildland firefighter show in his exceptional backcountry navigation and survival skills.
With landscape photography being Johnny's passion, he spends the majority of his free time exploring Utah's vast wilderness areas in search of hidden gems and new photo ops. Johnny is intimately familiar with the Wasatch and Uinta mountain ranges of Northern Utah as well as the the deserts of Southern Utah. Johnny loves to share his passion for photography with others.
See more of Johnny's work below and be sure to follow him on Instagram: