South Coyote Buttes Tours
South Coyote Buttes holds incredible photographic potential. We cater to photographers by going out for the best light, showing you the best spots, and giving you photo instruction. It's a very large area and demands a good amount of time to thoroughly explore. A permit is required to access this area, but it is much less in demand than Coyote Buttes North. For more details, see the Permit Tab below (please read before booking). We would love to accompany you out to South Coyote Buttes to discover many of the photographic treasures that abound like the Control Tower, Half and Half, South Teepees, Twisted Rock, Witches Hat, and much more! Please Contact Us with any questions.
- This trip departs out of Kanab, UT. If you’re coming from Page, AZ, contact us to arrange a meet-up just off the highway.
- Permits are required for all trip participants. We advise you to secure permits in advance. See the Permit tab for more info.
- Road access into South Coyote Buttes is rough, sandy, and slow-going. Leave the difficult driving to us.
- There are various sections of South Coyote Buttes, such as Paw Hole, Cottonwood Cove, and The Teepees. Hiking is required to reach the most photogenic areas. Participants should be in good physical condition.
- Since this is in a remote location, we’ll have to bring all our own food and water. Participants should bring their own food for all day trips. A cooler will be provided.
- Price includes vehicle transportation to/from Kanab and all photography guiding throughout the day. A typical day is anywhere from 8-9 hours. If you wish to stay out longer than that, a small surcharge will apply.
- If you’re interested in getting both sunrise & sunset and some night photography, consider booking this as an overnight camping trip. We can also combine this with White Pocket. Contact us for a price quote, as cost will vary depending on number of people and how much gear & food we need to provide.
It’s best to secure permits in advance and they can be reserved up to 4 months before your entry date. The permits costs $5/person. To secure a permit, visit the following link and select an available date on the calendar: https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/hikingcalendar.cfm?areaid=1. For best odds, visit this link on the first day of the month at noon Mountain Standard Time (or Daylight Time when applicable).
10 walk-in permits are also available each day. From mid-March to Mid November, walk-in permits can be obtained seven (7) days a week. From mid-November through mid-March, walk-in permits are issued Monday-Friday, except for federal holidays (including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and President’s Day). During this time, permits for Saturday-Monday are drawn on Friday. To apply, arrive at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Visitor Center in Kanab, Utah (745 E. Highway 89 in Kanab Utah across from Walkers gas station and Wendy’s restaurant) from 9-9:30 a.m. Mountain Standard Time -Utah- (9am Daylight Savings Time in summer) to submit your application.
If we are available the day before, we can attend the walk-in lottery for you. We charge a $30 fee for this service.
- $199/person for a full-day trip (8-9 hours) beginning and ending in Kanab, UT.
- Minimum group size is 3 for the $199/person rate. For group sizes smaller than 3, the private tour rate of $500 applies (1-2 people). When desired, we often combine groups to help meet the minimum.
- A 25% deposit is required to secure your reservation. Full trip payment is due prior to departure. You can pay via credit card or with cash on the day of the trip.
- Fully outfitted overnight camping trips can also be arranged in addition to combo trips to White Pocket. Contact us for details.
- Please see our Terms & Conditions for more detailed information.