North Coyote Buttes Tours
Difficulty: Moderately Strenuous
North Coyote Buttes is the quintessential photography destination in the area, with iconic sights like The Wave, Sand Cove, The Boneyard, Melody Arch, and much more. As a true backcountry destination, it requires a demanding 3.5 mile cross-country hike each way from Wire Pass Trailhead. A permit is required to access this area. For more details, see the Permit Tab below (please read before booking). We will be happy to guide you out to North Coyote Buttes to discover many of the hidden photographic treasures that abound. We’ll get you to the spots at the best times of the day and provide professional photographic instruction and critique. Read more in the Highlights Tab below. Please Contact Us with any questions.
- This trip departs out of Kanab, UT. If you’re coming from Page, AZ, contact us to arrange a meet-up just off the highway.
- Permits are required for all trip participants. We advise you to secure permits in advance. See the Permit tab for more info.
- The hike to The Wave is 3.5 miles one-way and is moderately strenuous. Participants need to be in good physical condition.
- We can visit many unique photo spots in North Coyote Buttes in addition to The Wave. This depends on your appetite for adventure and energy level.
- We recommend carrying a lot of water as it can get very hot on certain days. On cooler days, 1-2 liters per person is ok. For warmer days, up to 4L per person is needed.
- Participants should pack their own lunch.
- Price includes vehicle transportation to/from Kanab and all photography guiding throughout the day. Tours lasting longer than 9 hours can be arranged with a small surcharge.
It’s best to secure permits in advance. The BLM runs a lottery 4 months in advance. The lottery costs $5 and the permit costs $7/person if you win. Here’s the link to enter the lottery: https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/lotteryapply.cfm?areaid=2.
10 walk-in permits are also available each day, but these are usually quite competitive. Sometimes as many as 150 people show-up for just 10 permits. From mid-March to Mid November, walk-in permits can be obtained seven (7) days a week. From mid-November through mid-March, walk-in permits are issued Monday-Friday, except for federal holidays (including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and President’s Day). During this time, permits for Saturday-Monday are drawn on Friday. To apply, arrive at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Visitor Center in Kanab, Utah (745 E. Highway 89 in Kanab Utah across from Walkers gas station and Wendy’s restaurant) from 8:30-9 a.m. Mountain Standard Time -Utah- (9am Daylight Savings Time in summer) to submit your application.
If we are available the day before, we can attend the walk-in lottery for you. We charge a $30 fee for this service.
- $199/person for a full-day trip (8-9 hours) beginning and ending in Kanab, UT.
- Minimum group size is 3 for the $199/person rate. For group sizes smaller than 3, the private tour rate of $500 applies (1-2 people). When desired, we often combine groups to help meet the minimum.
- A 25% deposit is required to secure your reservation. Full trip payment is due prior to departure. You can pay via credit card or with cash on the day of the trip.
- Please see our Terms & Conditions for more detailed information.