Cypress Swamps Photo Workshop
November 1-5, 2022
November 5-9, 2022.
Photograph the enchanting beauty and native wildlife of the Southern Cypress Swamps. Dates are timed for the best chances of fall colors and foggy conditions! We will be going out on small boats to access many diverse areas and the workshop is rated Easy for physical intensity. The fee includes single occupancy lodging right on the banks of the swamps! A small group size of 4 photographers, along with local guides will ensure individual attention and optimal photographic opportunities.
- Experience the sublime beauty of the Cypress Swamps and native wildlife. Dates are timed for best fall colors and foggy conditions!
- We will be using a small boat to efficiently access areas with optimal photographic opportunities. These boats are stable, quiet, and nimble and will deliver great landscape and wildlife photo ops.
- A small group size of 4 photographers will ensure plenty of individual attention.
- Expert local knowledge from our boat operators and guides.
- Single-occupancy lodging and all boat/ground transportation is included. You will drift to sleep to the soothing sounds of the mysterious cypress forest!
- Post-processing instruction included during the midday hours.
The exact itinerary will be flexible based on the weather and current conditions. If we get foggy conditions one day, we'll spend more time out on the boats. With expert local guides and boat operators, we'll get you to the best places at the best times. Our home base will be right next to the swamp so we won't have to waste valuable time commuting back and forth. The itinerary below is just an example of what you can expect.
- Day 1: 7PM Orientation session where we'll cover the specialized photo techniques you'll be using during our upcoming days together.
- Day 2: We awake well before dawn, drive to the put-in spot, and board the boats, arriving at an enchanting cypress grove as beautiful fog sifts through the majestic trees. Vibrant fall colors adorn the branches and calm water amplifies the reflections. As the morning light begins to filter in, we shoot various compositions. The fog continues to last throughout the morning and we continue chasing the light until almost noon. We return for lunch and then head out again on the boats in the late afternoon for our sunset shoot.
- Day 3: We are out early again and capture some incredible wildlife images of the egrets and herons in the ethereal forest. A few alligators also make their appearance! We boat back to the pier and do a midday post-processing session. We depart again on the boats for our sunset shoot where we find some magnificent fall color!
- Day 4: We head out on boats again for our sunrise and sunset photo shoots, chasing the best light, fall colors, and conditions. We do one more midday post processing session showing you how to make the most of your images with many new digital darkroom techniques.
- Day 5: Although it's hard to believe, today is our final sunrise shoot. It's our lucky day as fog has returned and we capture some amazing atmospheric images. Everyone is thrilled with what they were able to capture. We return to the pier and the workshop will conclude no later than noon.
This workshop is rated Easy for all activity levels. Participants need to have good mobility for getting into and out of the small boats. We will be doing a lot of handheld shooting from the boat, but we will also setup tall tripods in the water for longer exposures. We recommend bringing a pair of chest waders if you would like to get out of the boats to photograph.
Single occupancy lodging is included in the workshop price. We will be staying at a private home along the banks of the swamp. There is a full kitchen available for cooking, as well as a several nearby restaurants.
Due to the sensitive nature of this environment, we aren't releasing any location details publicly. We will provide this information after you book and give you options for booking flights, etc. The workshop will be held in the Southeast United States. All ground and boat transportation is provided once you arrive at the workshop location.
$3975 Person + Tax
Join our Loyalty Program and Get 10% Off!
- 4 nights single occupancy lodging at a private home.
- Boat and ground transportation once you arrive at the location.
- Photography guiding and instruction
- Post-processing and image critique
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Flights to and from the workshop location.
- Meals, beverages and snacks
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged Aug 1, 2022 to the credit card we have on file. See our full Terms and Conditions.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Digital SLR or mirrorless camera body.
- Wide angle lens in the 16-35mm range.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Long telephoto zoom lens in the 100-600mm range. For wildlife you will want a lens that is longer than 200mm.
- A tall, sturdy tripod and ballhead. We recommend using an arca-swiss mount for your camera so we can more easily share tripods.
- An L-bracket is highly recommended for your camera!
- Circular polarizers are a MUST and ND filters may come in handy for longer exposures. If you like shooting with grads, bring them along.
- Backpack to carry your gear.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or follow along during the post-processing instruction.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy footwear and long pants.
- Warm jacket for cool mornings
- Waterproof shell or rain jacket.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Sun Hat.
- Water bottle.
- Bug Spray
- Chest waders if you wish to get out of the boat
- Knee pads for photographing from the boat
Born and raised in India, Rajesh moved to Texas in the early 1990's to attend graduate school. He now lives in Murphy, TX with his wife and two daughters.
Rajesh's landscape and astrophotography journey began through his love of horticulture and the native Texas landscape. His interests include macro, landscape and astrophotography, and he has an affinity for undiscovered locations and unique photo ops.
Photography has taken Rajesh on a path of self-discovery, learning, and meaningful friendships. His images are displayed at several exhibitions around the world, and he has won several awards including the International Landscape Photographer of the Year Top 101 award and a Top 10 finalist in the Smithsonian 15th Annual Photo Contest. Two of his images are published and displayed at London’s Royal Botanical Gardens.
Rajesh shares his images regularly on his website and other social media.
Flickr: Rajesh Jyothiswaran
500px: Rajessh Jyothiswaran
Kevin McNeal is a Washington-State photographer who is passionate about photographing grand landscapes that reflect the most unique places on earth. Capturing moments of magic light and transferring this to print is the ultimate goal. His images hold a combination of perseverance, patience, and dedication to capture landscapes in fresh ways. The stories of how these images are rendered come across in the feelings the images convey. He has traveled all over North America, shooting diverse landscapes and finding remote places with the hope that we can convey to the public that this earth is worth caring for. His award winning images can be seen in galleries and showings across the United States. He was recently invited to the Art Wolfe Art Gallery for the Environmental Photography Invitational. Kevin was the grand winner of the Landscape category for the Natures Best Magazine and was selected for the Smithsonian National Museum of History in Washington D.C.. He is a regular contributor to publications like Outdoor Photographer.
“I believe that the Earth shares secrets with us that only can be discovered by trying to understand our position on this planet. We are never fully intimate with the planet but are given brief moments that make our souls want more. These glimpses of nature’s power are fleeting and never the same twice. I also believe it is important to share with those who want it. The treasures that await us given the patience that is out there. What I try to do is bring some of that magic to my images to share with the rest of the world. Each of my images tells a story that everyone can relate to in some way whether it is success, fear, or challenging oneself to overcome obstacles
Kevin's portfolio can be found at www.kevinmcnealphotography.com.