Big Cats Africa Safari
Jan 3-13 and Jan 13-23, 2023
Join our Big Cats Africa Safari where we'll capture cheetahs, lions, and leopards deep in the Masai Mara along with classic African wildlife in front of Mt Kilimanjaro! This is the ideal time of year to photograph curious cubs and family interactions. We'll observe the cats in their natural environment playing and even hunting! Big clouds and dramatic sunsets are common this time of year for stunning silhouettes and wide angle shots. We start off with 3 days in Amboseli National Park with its stunning backdrops of Mt. Kilimanjaro and then move on to Masai Mara for the remaining 7 days. World-renowned big cat photographer Jeffrey Wu will join David Swindler in leading this all inclusive workshop. Tuition includes all transportation in Kenya along with 3 charter flights, accommodations, meals, and local guides. With a max group size of 6 clients, everyone will have access to an operable window and pop-up roof. So get your cameras ready!
- Capture cheetahs, lions, and leopards in action! Dramatic clouds and gorgeous sunsets are common this time of year for spectacular animal-in-landscape shots.
- Experience incredible views of Mt Kilimanjaro with 3 days in Amboseli National Park.
- Exclusive off-road driving permits and a flexible itinerary allow us to get exceptionally close to the action.
- Lead instructor Jeffrey Wu is an award-winning wildlife photographer who spends 10 months out of the year following Kenya's big cats in the Masai Mara. He has photographed well over 300 cheetah hunts and intimately knows their behavior and habitat.
- Small group of 6 photographers with 2 instructors. Everyone will have their own window seat and pop-up roof to allow unobstructed shooting from the 4x4's.
- Expert instruction both before and during the workshop on camera techniques, action shooting, composition, and post-processing.
- Workshop includes all food, lodging, ground transportation, and 3 charter flights between Nairobi, Amboseli, and Masai Mara.
- Day 1: Arrive in Nairobi, Kenya (airport code NBO). Transportation to the hotel will be provided.
- Day 2: We will start the workshop with Meet and Greet at breakfast and then drive to the airport for our charter flight to Amboseli National Park. After our scenic flight, we check into our lodge and head out for an evening wildlife safari drive.
- Day 3: We spend our day photographing wildlife in the Amboseli National Park with the imposing Mt Kilimanjaro as our backdrop. Expect to find many species of big cats, elephants, giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, and more!
- Day 4: We enjoy our last morning with the wildlife in Amboseli and then take our charter flight to the Masai Mara. We check into our new accommodations located close to where the big cats are actively congregating and depart for an evening wildlife shoot.
- Days 5-10: We spend six full days of morning and evening wildlife shoots in the Masai Mara where we are primarily looking for the big cat species. We will photograph them playing, interacting with their cubs, and even hunting! Lead instructor Jeffrey Wu is one of the foremost experts in photographing big cat action. Other species we'll photograph include elephants, giraffes, zebras, hippos, wildebeest, birds, and much more.
- Day 11: After our morning wildlife shoot, we pack up and board our charter flight back to Nairobi. A day-room will be provided for all participants where you can shower, re-pack, and rest before your international flight in the evening.
Plan to arrive in Nairobi, Kenya anytime on or before Day 1. Most international flights arrive in the evening and a hotel room will be provided for all participants. We will meet together as a group at breakfast on Day 2.
We strongly recommend that all participants purchase their own travel insurance. The proper policy will cover things like last-minute cancellations, medical emergencies, and any non-refundable fees connected to the workshop. We have partnered with Squaremouth, a website that allows you to compare policies from multiple providers to choose the best one for you. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more information.
This workshop includes accommodations only on Day 1 and is all-inclusive from Day 2 onward (transportation, meals, and accommodations). All you need to worry about is taking incredible photos. The base price assumes double occupancy. If you book as a single participant but want double occupancy, we will attempt to pair you with another participant of the same gender. If that is not possible, you will be asked to pay the single supplement.
In order to capture the best big cat action photos, we must stay close to where recent sightings are. Our exact accommodations in the Masai Mara are kept flexible until shortly before our arrival to optimize our encounters. We have close working relationships with camps in the Masai Mara to allow us the luxury of flexibility.
Shortly after registration closes, we will set up a Zoom meeting to discuss gear and pre-trip planning. You will receive additional information via email to ensure you are set up for a successful and memorable trip!
$9950/person + Tax
- 10 nights double-occupancy lodging in Nairobi, Amboseli, and Masai Mara. Single supplement is $1400.
- 3 charter flights between Nairobi, Amboseli, and Masai Mara.
- All meals and snacks from Day 2 to Day 11.
- 4x4 Ground Transportation in Land Cruisers.
- Park Entrance Fees, Conservation Fees, and Departure Taxes.
- Services of exceptional English-speaking guides.
- In-field and classroom instruction by pros Jeffrey Wu and David Swindler.
- Hotel day-room in Nairobi before your departing international flight.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Nairobi.
- Travel/Medical/Interruption/Cancellation Insurance.
- Passport and Visa Fees.
- Inoculations and Testing, including any COVID-19 specific requirements.
- Gratuities for photo guides and drivers.
When you complete the checkout process, you will be given the option to either pay the full amount or put down a 50% deposit. If you pay the deposit, the remaining amount will be charged 90 days prior to departure. See the full Terms and Conditions.
Meet Your Instructors
Jeffrey Wu is a world-renowned wildlife photographer, conservationist, author, and educator. He fell in love with Africa back in 2013 and has since spent 10 months each year photographing the wildlife in Kenya and beyond. Jeffrey's photos have won many awards and he is well known for his in-the-moment action shots and story-telling style. As an active member of the Kenya Tourism Board, he is actively working to protect and preserve these fragile ecosystems. Jeffrey's photos and articles have been published in over 120 publications worldwide. His book "Beauty of the Wild" was the first wildlife photography guidebook ever published in the Chinese language.
Jeffrey is also passionate about teaching. His innovative shooting and post-processing methods have been shared and viewed over half a million times online. He has been invited to speak at many forums and conferences. But he loves teaching small groups on his home turf in Kenya. He intimately knows the wildlife and their behavior patterns. Having captured more than 300 cheetah hunts, he is one of the foremost experts in finding unique, compelling, and exciting photographic opportunities.
Please visit his website to see more of his amazing work: https://www.jeffreywuphotography.com/
David Swindler is an award-winning landscape and wildlife photographer. Among others, he has been recognized by Sony World Photography Awards, International Landscape Photographer of the Year, and National Geographic. He received a degree in chemical engineering and worked in the semiconductor industry specializing in optics and photolithography. In 2014, he left his day job to follow his true passion. He has traveled to some of the most remote regions of the world and has extensive experience photographing a wide variety of subjects and conditions. He finds great satisfaction in helping others learn photography, especially in the wild desert environment near his home in Kanab, UT. David is an expert in night photography and loves to get out and shoot the starry night skies. Catch a glimpse of David's work in the slideshow, and follow the links below to see more!
Having guided photo tours for years, David is very familiar with many different types of cameras. He is a master with light and composition. But most importantly, his dedication to his clients is what really sets him apart! Just read what others are saying here: Trip Advisor.